Restoring Grandads Abu Ambassadeur help!

Witha

G'day guys,

Have a question and in seek of advice from the tackle gurus. My old man and i have been taking a trip down memory lane with my Grandfather's old gear (my old man loves it but he's skipped the fishing scene for a decade or so).

I never got to know him properly but the fishing genes run strong. He was a tournament casting champ and won many comps apparently, as well as being a master of the dark art - black fishing.

The reel we've dug up of his is the one he used in casting comps, from what I've been able to gather it's an early abu garcia ambassadeur, (think it's the original 5000 series), and I'd love some help identifying the year and exact model so I can grab some schematics. Being a true fanatic it actually still runs bloody smooth and is packed with grease so the condition is excellent but well used.

Things to note:

-No 5000 plate under the name which leads me to think its an earlier model.

-One handle and a counterweight rather than twin handle

- No visible lettering other than model number or batch number 730401 on the underside of the reel foot

I'm really looking to restore this to A1 internal condition and actually use it. So on top of my request for year and model wondering if anyone can post or PM me guys who do restoration or hard core servicing.

Any spit balling or general chat on these reels is welcomed, looking to get a glimpse into the Era of this reel and anything related.

pics below

1d4d0c5c209cddbfd7b5220e170402cf.jpgb591d06b74fdc9b95fed57930ef8cd8c.jpgebac9bcb8230d5240b204a289638689e.jpg

Edited by Witha

Have a 6000C .....looks exactly the same but only extra is a button to activate the ratchet ....for sound. This is opposite the Abu crest. Mine has the serial 741003. Perhaps Abu Sweden can help. Purchased in early 70s hope of help

Have a 6000C .....looks exactly the same but only extra is a button to activate the ratchet ....for sound. This is opposite the Abu crest. Mine has the serial 741003. Perhaps Abu Sweden can help. Purchased in early 70s hope of help

Mate pretty the 74 in the serial is Date of manufacture as in 1974

JD

Yeah I did some reading (was 73 not 74 sorry)

Its a 1973 model ambassadeur 5001C, slightly rarer than usual being a left hand wind.

Found old threads about guys doing complete restore and refurb parts packs for them but seems they've stopped, might have to put a shopping list together from the States or similar. Going to leave it externally as it is but cleaner and do the internals as new so I can use it :)