Making poppers - attaching hooks

Volitan

Hi. I was thinking of using my lathe to turn up some blanks for making poppers out of. Googling, it seems most people just screw in eyelets to fix the fittings too - sometimes with a bit of epoxy. I cant get past thinking that with a good fish they might tear out. Have any raiders done this and what was your experience ?

Cheers

Arron

WHAT SIZE POPPERS AND GEAR ARE WE TALKING ABOUT ?

Targets mostly harbour kings, so I guess from 75 to 120 mm long, and used on 6-10 kg gear. But its more like an open question, in case I get the chance to go after something bigger.

Today I had a quick go at making a popper, using the technique mentioned above.

I got to the point of putting the wire up the middle when I wondered whether it would be better to leave it out. To use the popper, I would just thread the leader up the middle and tie on the rear treble - like in the attached photo (imagine there is a bead above the treble).

The swivel for the front treble would be epoxied in place in such a way that it is captured by the leader as it passes through.

The main advantage is that I don't have to work with wire, which in my case is usually the weakest part of any rig I make.

Is this a good idea ? Am I overlooking something ?

cheers

Arron

ps. the main problem was drilling the hole through the middle of a long popper. Any ideas ?

post-10394-0-47722600-1460777107_thumb.jpg

I have never used poppers but just an observation on your rig, won't the popper spin around and 'wind up' your line in a twisting motion and so should have a swivel attached to the popper for your line to attach to prevent this? Maybe I'm wrong but just a thought.

Good point but I don't think it will spin much. The photo doesn't show it well but the face is cut on an oblique angle, with the leading edge of the oblique being on the upper side. That should force the upper side to stay uppermost.

Or maybe not.

We'll see.