Sydney Harbour (Land Based) Night vs Day

Snooks

I have been to a fishing spot a couple of times in the last month, land based and around the Hunters Hill area.

We've always timed it so we get there about 4pm and fish until around 9pm, on both occasions the high tide was around the 8-9pm time, either just on or just after darkness.

We have caught lots of undersize bream and flatties but a couple of legal pan sized in amongst them. The funny part is that as soon as darkness comes, the fish just stop biting. It goes from lots of rubbish and pest fish biiting, straight to nothing at all, not a touch in an hour or more.

On the last occasion another guy was there and we were talking, he lives locally and goes fishing often and he said he has never caught anything there at night, only the daytime. I find it hard to believe that you cannot catch fish there at night. It just doesnt make sense. If you said you ONLY catch at night then i would believe that because of water traffic, depth of water and other things, but i have never been to a place where you dont catch or even get bites, at night.

Any comments or advice?

Edited by Snooks

I have been to a fishing spot a couple of times in the last month, land based and around the Hunters Hill area.

We've always timed it so we get there about 4pm and fish until around 9pm, on both occasions the high tide was around the 8-9pm time, either just on or just after darkness.

We have caught lots of undersize bream and flatties but a couple of legal pan sized in amongst them. The funny part is that as soon as darkness comes, the fish just stop biting. It goes from lots of rubbish and pest fish biiting, straight to nothing at all, not a touch in an hour or more.

On the last occasion another guy was there and we were talking, he lives locally and goes fishing often and he said he has never caught anything there at night, only the daytime. I find it hard to believe that you cannot catch fish there at night. It just doesnt make sense. If you said you ONLY catch at night then i would believe that because of water traffic, depth of water and other things, but i have never been to a place where you dont catch or even get bites, at night.

Any comments or advice?

You get fish at night sometimes but the vast majority of bites are early morning, late afternoon and at the change of tide. Also overcast rainy days, they seem bite more which makes sense, because overcast days emulate early morning and late afternoon lighting conditions. But I like fishing late arvos and night, its just a nice time to fish. If you are fishing at night, I'd try a live yakka or small tailor on heavier gear because the distressed live bait will attract the bigger stuff and you don't have to worry about the little fish picking it off.

As for the noise, if the bream aren't biting I sometimes turn on the engines on and a lot of time it seems to bring them on the bite. I don't think they that are scared or spooked by the noise, there would be that much noise in the harbour anyway, if anything it probably attracts them.

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures

Interesting comments and thanks. :)

We are hopefully going back again next week, even if the fish are not that big its still fun, a day out with my Lads and we will look at changing the times a bit.

Cheers :)

Guest 4myson

Change your tactics , If your fishing just a running sinker Try suspendind a whole pilly on gang hooks under a float . A great way to get onto tailors at night ....

Change your tactics , If your fishing just a running sinker Try suspendind a whole pilly on gang hooks under a float . A great way to get onto tailors at night ....

That's a sure fire way to get into some tailor. I usually use half a salted pillie on a single 3/0 or 4/0 hook (hook in the meaty part and half hitch around the top) works well too around the Spit.

Edited by iamthecowgodmoo