Salmon

Rezzman1

Hey mate,

If your willing to travel, you could try the beaches along the central coast such as budgewoi, magenta, terrigal, avoca or wamberal

these beaches are producing lately

Pick a day when high tide is just after sunset, look for a gutter and throw out a ganged pillie on a paternoster rig

You can buy a premade surf popper rig from tackle stores if you dont know how to rig one up yourself. They usually come with a surf popper and a set of gang hooks

Just get out there and give it a go, you'll be sure to catch as well as gain some experience and knowledge

Winter, dusk, ganged pilchard and a good gutter and you're almost guaranteed of a catch of salmon or tailor on just about any open facing beach. Maroubra and Wanda have been producing lately. Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I caught quite a few in Narrabeen when I used to live in Artarmon. Pilchards on gang hooks. I would go light with just one rod and a shoulder bag and walk along the beach and cast at gutters and move on if no fish after 10 minutes

--

Huy

If you're fishing in bays an estuaries, a small-medium sized live bait such as a yakka will get you hooked up if they are around.

Sometimes they eat anything, I've caught them on snippets of chicken using a tiny hook for yakkas.

For a reliable catch though, head to the beaches.

Mate if you have a look at the bargain bins in the tackle shops find the longest clear soft plastics you can, I troll them behind the kayak and the salmon just smash em... Port Hacking the spot mate :)

• 2 months later...

What a great fish they are on light gear!

There's been plenty of them in Broken Bay and up in to the Hawkesbury. I've been using surface lures - Skinny Pop has been my favourite - cast either to working schools of fish, or cast blind along the shore - they clearly cruise the edges looking for things to eat. I've also found 5' jerk shads on weighted jig heads fished deep around the edges of bays works well when you can't see the fish.

I've also caught quite a few from the northern end of Narrabeen while targeting jews. If you know how to spot deep gutters try flicking lures or bait into them. Salmon will take almost any of the oily baits, I personaly don't use gang hooks as they don't stand up to decent sized jews if you are lucky to hook one of those instead. I've pulled jews from Narrabeen with sets of gang hooks stuck around there faces.

I like targeting salmon using river to rock lures in the 40-60g size and carry just a rod with a few lures in a bum bag and walk beaches flicking the lures as I walk untill I find a patch. If you find some they can often be moving up or down the beach, so if the bite stops you may need to follow them.

Jon

_MG_0376_zpsca2b86e3.jpg

_MG_0381_zps1510c24c.jpg

_MG_0388_zps67daeea6.jpgr

river2sea-sj-main_zps52b7c2e6.jpg

Edited by JonD