Brisbane Waters overfished?

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Hi raiders,

Seeking advice on this subject please. Taking to friends and also based on reports here is it bloody hard to catch a good feed in Brisbane waters?

My dad used to live at booker bay in the 80's. His house had a wharf right next to the rip bridge. He also had a small tinnie and 25hp on the back. We had some great times, my brother and I used to catch a buckets of flatties and bream of the wharf. The tinnie, we bagged out on tailor near ocean beach, smashed up paddys channel and lobster beach. Every time we went out it was great. Mr twisters were in the scene them and dos very well.

Now I'm not so sure it's worth the effort to try and fish the area, seems like heavy population, commercial pressure etc has turned it into a wasteland. Reason I ask is I could buy a small estuary boat now but I'm thinking is not worth it, keep saving and get an offshore boat and target the kings and snapper off the reef.

I do hear about good jewies being landed, though I wonder how much effort is involved here and is the prize worth the effort.

Thanks in advance for your response.

I'm based in the dirty Narara creek and still get loads of fish in Brisbane Waters. It's my go to spot.

My belief is that a lot of people are nervous to post reports in there as there are some pretty arrogant guys who fish it regularly and will claim "you stole my spot and put it on the internet".

I'm happy to share a few good spots with you, admittedly most of my jews are soapies around the 60-68cm mark but We do get the bigger ones if you put the time in. Plenty of monster bream (my biggest to date is 52cm) and tonnes of flatty's.

The sailing club at Gosford is easily accessed via the water and you will ALWAYS get good bream and flathead here with a few good surprises ;) plenty of other spots like this too. The sand flats around Saratoga for example.

Let me know if you want more detail I'll p.m some.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Everytime I retrieve at Blackwall there is always some young fellas or old fellas cleaning there catch. They always say 'i got it up paddys'

Paddys is alias for, 'I am not telling you my spot'.

I have no problem in sharing my spots, I just dont really have any.....Fish are always on the move no matter what day, time, tide, moon.

You can always. Get a good feed from Brisbane Waters, plenty of flatties and bream. Either with bait or SP's.

The legal jewie ( over 70cm) is a great fish and plenty of them about, but like anything good you need patience and skill to get them.

I thought all fish in Brisbane waters are caught in paddys channel or the rip bridge.

Definitely not...as said previously its pretty much what the locals say to stop people asking questions about where you really got the fish...Whilst the rip is a great spot its pretty hard to fish without the right gear and the current rips through there. Ive never had luck at paddy's channel...there are loads of better spots around that don't get the traffic.

9bd7912368eeb45589f9c34e30eabd49.jpg

For a flatty drift, anywhere from this marker down towards to train bridge is an excellent spot, I get the occasional jew there too and loads of bream and whiting but the flattys love this channel especially where the water runs over the flats, off the weed beds and into the channels. Quite a few big e.p's reside in this area too but it can be a mission locating the schools without more knowledge/experience targetting them.

Thanks for the tip Adsy.

I grew up at Point Clare fished narara creek since I was 10yrs old

Now live in Saratoga and been fishing Brisbane Waters for 30 yrs now(shit I'm old lol)

I was just being a smart ass about paddys and the rip.

Tim

Haha fair enough Tim, you would be surprised how many people think they're the only spots in Brisbane Waters that get good fish...might see you out there some time!