Jack advice

dirvin21

I've been casting under a bridge on the way to work, the baitfish have been schooled up under the lights, the bream and flathead have been smashing the bait on the surface (watched a approx. 70cm flattie actively chase a mullet around the surface was quite a spectacle)

I had several small to medium mangrove jacks come in and go for the lure (a bream sized 40mm tango shad) they savagely chased to the edge where I paused and then they sat there all but kissing the rear treble before swimming away, is this common behavior I have never targeted jacks on lures, with bream I pause until they pick up the lure but with jacks should I keep it moving?

frustrating stuff but that's what makes it fun

Dave

Well the good thing is that they're interested in your lure.

Here's a few of tips that should work. Try a double split ring from the lure to your rear treble.

This makes the hooks hang a bit further back & if they kiss it then they

should have a mouthful of treble trouble.

Try stick on lead strips so your lure suspends. Sometimes the up & down movement

of a floating lure puts a finicky fish off at the last minute. If it suspends & hangs in their face

at one level they tend to bite.

Try some scent. Scent often turns a kiss of a lure into another bite once they have the taste.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Grant.

thanks guys

went back again tonight and actually tempted about a 20cm into having a go hooks didn't stick but I'm getting closer I'm gonna give the scent a go I do believe that may make the difference

I worked out the fish are really flighty (even worse than bream) and so I'm all but hiding while casting

victory will be sweet when I land one of the suckers

cheers

Dave

thanks guys

went back again tonight and actually tempted about a 20cm into having a go hooks didn't stick but I'm getting closer I'm gonna give the scent a go I do believe that may make the difference

I worked out the fish are really flighty (even worse than bream) and so I'm all but hiding while casting

victory will be sweet when I land one of the suckers

cheers

Dave

Have you tried the Z-man swimmerz?

I was up there over summer and didnt manage to net one but lost three over 50cm on barra gear with 20lb braid and 40lb leader.

The most luck I had was with the 4 inch red or white swimmerz with a bit of pro-cure in the slit of the plastic.

They definitely like a suspending lure over a floating or sinking too...the more horizontal the lure stays when suspending the better too.

I would probably use a pretty consistant speed, not quite pelagic spinning speed but definitely not a slow roll or anything like that. If they aren't touching get real jerky with the hardbodies.

-Mick Horn - "the jack guru" has some nice vids on youtube around the canals and Broadwater.

Good luck!! There are some monsters on the Goldy!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

after many many attempts with the closest being a busted treble from a enormous red flash (which almost buried me around a pylon), tonight I had some casts and was about to leave then I thought I'd try a steady roll retrieve rather than the twitch retrieve which I generally do, and unbelievably out of 20cm of water my lure gets smashed right near my feet after a solid run I managed to extract a 34cm Jack from amongst the rocks quite a task on 8lb leader, I will post some pictures up later this fish has taken a lot of time and effort but definitely worth every minute spent

Well done. My dad has some great stories of chasing jacks up in QLD when he was a kid, although he was never sophisticated enough to be using lures! I'd love to have a crack at this species, they have a pretty strong reputation as tough and dirty fighters!

Look forward to your pic.