Mixed bag at browns mountain

Chaohuang

It was a rather quite day out at browns today, at least for the electric reels... the gemmies were not as thick as they were a month ago. My mates on the two electric reels barely got any bites, with only one reef ocean perch landed, combined... However, I was firing it up with my deep inchiku jig, with a total of 2 mirror dories, 1 gemfish, 1 alfonsino and 1 reef ocean perch. It just comes to show how effective the deep inchiku can be in targeting a wide range of deep water species.Though none were big fish, it was really fun to catch such a mixed bag.

post-38423-0-91005600-1471440309_thumb.jpgpost-38423-0-23584700-1471440317_thumb.jpgpost-38423-0-34038000-1471440318_thumb.jpg

Edited by mshuangchao

Nice work again mate. Can i ask if there is a theory to attaching the hooks to the rear of the jig and trailing quite a distance from the rear of the jig? I noticed it was like that in your gemmie pictures as well. Is it because the you think the fish hit the jig on the drop and with the jig being tail weighted, the hooks will be sitting along the jig on the drop. We normally fish with the hook attached to the front of the jig for kings, generally with the assist hook cord long enough that the hook is sitting somewhere in the top third for knife jigs and anywhere mid or lower for flutter jigs. But we generally fish a much more aggressive action for kings and i know they often hit baits head on and we often get them on the way up, not as much on the drop.

Obviously what you do works very well.

Nice work again mate. Can i ask if there is a theory to attaching the hooks to the rear of the jig and trailing quite a distance from the rear of the jig? I noticed it was like that in your gemmie pictures as well. Is it because the you think the fish hit the jig on the drop and with the jig being tail weighted, the hooks will be sitting along the jig on the drop. We normally fish with the hook attached to the front of the jig for kings, generally with the assist hook cord long enough that the hook is sitting somewhere in the top third for knife jigs and anywhere mid or lower for flutter jigs. But we generally fish a much more aggressive action for kings and i know they often hit baits head on and we often get them on the way up, not as much on the drop.

Obviously what you do works very well.

Hi CS, good to know you share interest in this style of fishing!

What I am doing in these depths is a method that I call "deep inchiku". It is in essence a modified version of the traditional Japanese fishing method "inchiku" (same as the "Shimano bottomship" jig), but instead of having the assist line attached to the middle of the jig, I have it way down at the bottom. The reason for this is because I want my assist line to be long while being not easy to tangle with my leader. A long assist line not only decreases your chances of snagging at the bottom upon impact, but also gives the squid head more space to flutter around.

Fishing for kings at a depth of 50-200m is a whole different story. In shallow water, the feedback is much more clear and less delayed, giving you good control for small and precise movements as in slow jigging (see the website: japanese anglers secrets). For kingfish, I usually target them with the "high-pitch" slow jigging method, a stronger and faster approach in the broad spectrum of slow jigging styles.

Edited by mshuangchao