Electric Motor

nwatson

Hi All, I am on the verge of purchasing a minn kota or motorguide for my 460 Dory. I was wondering if anyone new when the new minn kota was going to be released? Has anyone any advice of whether to buy the minn kota or motorgudie and should I wait for the new version. What model do you think I need? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it is probably going to be a $2000 to $3000 investment and I don't want to do it twice. Cheers, Nathan.

I have a 55lb on a 450 TopEnder. If I was going again I would get the 80lb with two batteries. They are much better in big current or with strong winds. I like the idea of the auto stow/deploy feature on the later model (which mine doesn’t have). I had a problem with mine under warranty, which required a new circuit board, and the problem was rectified immediately.

I believe minn kotas new electric will be coming early next year, and looks to be playing catch-up with the current motorguide xi5 + improving in some aspects.

I couldn't wait and just purchased a motorguide xi5! will get to take it out in a weeks time, so will post back with my impressions. I've heard nothing but good things about them, and everything i've read/heard points that its better than the current version MK (quieter, more responsive, gps alot better, jog feature, uses less battery etc.)

Thanks macca, I agree with the motorguide and that's what I've decided to buy. Tossing up between the 55 and 80 though. What did you but and what size is your boat? Where did you get it from?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi mate, my boat is an old 13ft aluminium tinny so i got the 55lb 12v version. I had a 55lb water snake previously and it flew! But yeh not too sure how heavy the dory is/what would be ideal.

I got it from a place called blue bottle fishing, it was exactly 2k which was the cheapest i'd seen around.