Looking for first shark

Custodio

Ok, caught my first my shark (1m Port Jackson) last weekend land-based on Northern beaches at night on whole squid as a 'by-catch'. Posted here in the fishing reports. 20lb braid, 50lb leader, cheap 7000 reel and 14 foot stiff rod did the job. 4/0 hook was straightened. A lot of first excitement in the beginning due to the weight of the hooked fish. A few short runs and then pulling the 'body'. If I would target them at night - I would use shorter rod and stronger leader/hooks. Though i'd rather target Jewfish.

• 1 month later...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-02-14/shark-fishing-ban-adelaide-coast/3828232

Just... watch out if your living around the area. Sharks can die from exhaustion so it's best not to fight them. Just look for better alternatives, like mulloway or kingie fishing. It's better for the shark and the lives of the people there. Like I always know... your life is more than the fish, even if it's a 1000 lb tuna, if you are stuck in stormy weather and you are about to die, just drop your rod and go! It's something to regret, but a fishraider would NEVER, EVER, give his life to a fish. 

Cheers, amberjack ;) Fish On!                                           MESSAGE:  ALWAYS WEAR YOUR LIFE JACKET!