Testing the new sounder "snapper"

JonD

I've been off the water for almost two weeks with other commitments, been itching to get out and try the new sounder after my hds8 started playing up.

I'm never to early at heading out, today was no exception hitting the water at 10-30am. Headed north from Narooma to around 55 m of water off Potato point. Dropped a few baited rigs with pilchards on a simple dropper rig where we were instantly rewarded with a few small snapper to 40 cm.

Nannygai were becoming a pest grabbing baits about 20 m from the bottom so we moved out into deeper water. Nannygai were still being a pest so decided to try plastics for a change.

Seeing a plastic at around 50 m deep on the Lowrance suddenly have a solid fish rise from the bottom in 70m and grab it was exciting to say the least. Luckily it hooked 20 m above the bottom as this gave my daughter a bit of a chance to slow it down on 6 lb braid with 10 lb mono leader before it got back to the bottom. It went pretty hard making her think she'd hooked a small King but by taking her time she was thrilled to see a solid old snapper come up under the boat. A quick few pics before letting the bigger one go.

180916_GP_7068_zpsmezinhmy.jpg

180916_GP_6864_zpsvpv42eon.jpg

180916_GP_6844_zpsyb8rfn1t.jpg

Plenty of whales and dolphins about and a big thumbs up on the new sounder.

180916_GP_6894_zpshcmhcjiu.jpg

180916_GP_7024_zpsrapqn652.jpg

180916_GP_7168_zpsxuobzhbb.jpg

Jon

Edited by JonD

What's the photo taken on? 5d+ lol. Professionally taken

Some were on a 5d mk2 and the whales and dolphins my daughter took on her 7d, as far as professionally taken, if you call an unemployed bricklayer and a 15 year old school girl professional then yes!!!....that's us. My definition of being professional is someone who makes a living from their profession.

Jon

Sometimes you just don't relise how good you are until one seen them lol, nice photo and nice catch! I'm sure to stop by during Christmas. Was that in outside the heads or inside the lake?

Thanks

Was outside, Xmas time is more about kingfish or Marlin. Do you fish down here?

Jon

yes jon. what are the catches of getting a trip out with you~

I'm usually flat out with my kids and partly working on a dive boat on most holidays so can normally only tell what I will be doing day to day. A day in our boat is usually pretty cramped as we carry fishing gear as well as dive and camera gear most days, being a rib it's only 1.2m x 3.5m inside, so as you can imagine pretty cramped.

Let me know when you are down incase things are quiet.

Jon

Nice fish and some great shots, looks like you both had a good day. The snapper has spent time in a trap at some stage and has managed to get out, lucky it did! Thats gotta be around the 4 kilo mark.

That's quite sad to hear as our local best spots are now covered with trap buoys, big snapper like those are extremely rare down here these days and to think they are ending up in traps is terrible. Considering its in the middle of a marine park you would think these comercial guys wouldn't be allowed.

Great photos as per usual. That water looks exceptional and a good fish.

Since you don't make money out of your photos, you are a very highly skilled amateur with pictures I could look at all day.

Many thanks

Hey mate I was working for Mereton laying bricks up in Sydney but found previous back and neck Injurys forced me out of it. I did try working for a while with the camera but found earnings didn't cover the camera gear and haven't earnt anything from images for the last 4 years. Hopefully by helping my kids out with photography they may be able to combine it wit work when they leave school.

Thanks for the replays guys, what a top forum where people actually post comments:)

Jon

Edited by JonD

Nice sized snapper there, a great catch on such light line.

Beautiful pictures as others have mentioned. Any idea what species the dolphin is? I had a bit of a dolphin encounter last year and I'm thinking it was one of these.

Good stuff!

Nice sized snapper there, a great catch on such light line.

Beautiful pictures as others have mentioned. Any idea what species the dolphin is? I had a bit of a dolphin encounter last year and I'm thinking it was one of these.

Good stuff!

That one is a common dolphin though we did see othe species on the day too.

Jon