Very quiet at 12 miles reef today

Chaohuang

Went out with mates today to 12 miles, very quite... Ended up with only a morwong and a jacket on slow jigs, my other friends also caught one barracouta, one perch, one small kingfish and a few nannygai, and that was it. On of my mates insisted of cubing for tuna, but I thought YFT don't come in that close, am I right?

Also saw a pod of whales today, seeing dolphins and whales always mean crappy fishing for me...

post-38423-0-89432600-1474787296_thumb.pngpost-38423-0-93796600-1474787329_thumb.jpgpost-38423-0-77726300-1474787370_thumb.jpg

Edited by mshuangchao

Hi mate, least you turned a reel......lol, done 4 trips since early June looking for the yft and as we only went when we could not when we wanted we didn't even turn a reel....(bar one stripey and some smelly cuda) which we don't count, we cubed for 3 hours just inside the shelf and even after seeing a crazy amount of birds diving we scored healthy do-nuts, we'd heard they out past Heatons ....but as the reports were hit and miss we didnt want to go that far on a maybe.Anyway the water is starting to warm ,so time to prep all the gear, re tie doubles, sharpen hooks and wash our skirts as one thing we do find is the awesome Mahi mahi! hoping to head out next saturday if Huey is kind and see whats there, after seeing a photo last week of a 1.06m king caught in the Hacking if we dont find any speedsters we'll start to concentrate on the Hoodlums that are around......

Cheers

Hi mate, least you turned a reel......lol, done 4 trips since early June looking for the yft and as we only went when we could not when we wanted we didn't even turn a reel....(bar one stripey and some smelly cuda) which we don't count, we cubed for 3 hours just inside the shelf and even after seeing a crazy amount of birds diving we scored healthy do-nuts, we'd heard they out past Heatons ....but as the reports were hit and miss we didnt want to go that far on a maybe.Anyway the water is starting to warm ,so time to prep all the gear, re tie doubles, sharpen hooks and wash our skirts as one thing we do find is the awesome Mahi mahi! hoping to head out next saturday if Huey is kind and see whats there, after seeing a photo last week of a 1.06m king caught in the Hacking if we dont find any speedsters we'll start to concentrate on the Hoodlums that are around......

Cheers

Sorry to hear about your failed attempts at chasing YFT... they continue to elude me as well. Come summer and a lot of other species will be here!

They can show up anywhere, however I think you have greater chance of success outside the shelf.

Yep, the reports I have heard at the and some of the big frames in the water at Yowie bay ramp have all come from Heatons...indeed....bring on the Marlin and Mahi's,

Cheers

.........used to be plenty of big YFT at 12 mile.

Even the peak and long reef used to have em until mid 80's but sharp decline from then til the 90's

I see... so now they are more often found out wide. I remember reading that the YFT that were around 12 mile were a single local population and did not reproduce with the ones out wide, we might have decimated them for good...