Getting that summer feeling on the Hawkesbury

scomber

In the last couple of weeks its like someone has turned the switch on in the lower Hawkesbury River.

I've abandoned my winter habit of chasing sleepy lizards in the deeper holes and hit the flats.

Flicking 3 inch gulp prawns on a 1/8 jig in less than 3 ft of water at the top of the tide has been embarrassingly successful.

A flathead on every retrieve, some ferocious tiddlers, but some good sized crocs mixed in.

Areas with a gentle current running across patchy sand/mud and weed is the go.

The really cool thing about flathead fishing in very shallow water is the way they fight!

Once hooked it takes all your effort to keep them in the water (rod tip down).

Had them jumping like bloody trout on Saturday afternoon.

A quick two hour sesh resulted in 30 lizards, largest 65 cm, all returned to fight another day.

The deep holes are still fishing well, but a plague of Soapies (20 - 45 cm) - whilst fun to catch, are a bit annoying because I would really prefer to hook onto their bigger brother. The little Jews must be pretty hungry because most times they have swallowed the plastic making it very hard to remove without hurting the fish.

Prawns seem to be starting a little early this year and this lines up with the flatties preferring prawn plastics in the past couple of weeks over the traditional jerk shad.

Tight lines!

In the last couple of weeks its like someone has turned the switch on in the lower Hawkesbury River.

I've abandoned my winter habit of chasing sleepy lizards in the deeper holes and hit the flats.

Flicking 3 inch gulp prawns on a 1/8 jig in less than 3 ft of water at the top of the tide has been embarrassingly successful.

A flathead on every retrieve, some ferocious tiddlers, but some good sized crocs mixed in.

Areas with a gentle current running across patchy sand/mud and weed is the go.

The really cool thing about flathead fishing in very shallow water is the way they fight!

Once hooked it takes all your effort to keep them in the water (rod tip down).

Had them jumping like bloody trout on Saturday afternoon.

A quick two hour sesh resulted in 30 lizards, largest 65 cm, all returned to fight another day.

The deep holes are still fishing well, but a plague of Soapies (20 - 45 cm) - whilst fun to catch, are a bit annoying because I would really prefer to hook onto their bigger brother. The little Jews must be pretty hungry because most times they have swallowed the plastic making it very hard to remove without hurting the fish.

Prawns seem to be starting a little early this year and this lines up with the flatties preferring prawn plastics in the past couple of weeks over the traditional jerk shad.

Tight lines!

Sounds like a whole lotta fun!