Fishing today at Woolwich . My biggest Luderick to date .

blackfish angler

Guest Lord Loser

Have any of you Luderick Fisherman never had you fish while in your keeper nets eaten by Leather Jackets today we lost two to this I have never seen this before or had it happen. Two of our big fish to .

same as Mike 89, eels yes. First I've ever heard of rouge leather jackets going keeper nets.

I've heard of eels getting into nets and helping themselves to your fish but never LJs.

Great job on the fish, must have been a good rush!

Mate not sure could have been eels as we did not see what they were but the fish were so bad we had to throw them back

Edited by blackfish angler

I've had a couple of keeper nets full of blackfish destroyed by wobbegong. One time I heard a whole lot of thrashing around, went to the keeper net and a wobby had the net with a big hole ripped in it and blackfish fleeing everywhere :)

Guest Lord Loser

Some good fish there BA, whose record are you trying to break with the 48cm?

If its the one I think it is, Its actually 49cm :)

Gee they are good fish. It is years since I have been blackfish fishing.

Isn't it funny, I decided not to post the nick name of these fish given the negative connotations of the word.

Yeah, I could get offended at white bait, white shark, whiting, etc etc etc. Where is common sense? Oh, I remember - it was vetoed in the 80's.

I wonder how long it takes for a word with negative connotations in one area to be an acceptable nickname for a fish . . .

50years? 100 years?

My dad used it, I use it, my kids don't cos they aren't really into fishing yet.

I'm not even sure my 11yo knows the negative meaning of the word. I might have to check with him ont he weekend.

I believe it is all about context and as stormy said, common sense.

Unfortunately common sense isn't all that common any more.

Edited by Burger

Hey 'Blackfish Angler',

Some really nice fish you have been catching lately, little envious of the fact that you are actually fishing for blackfish and am not. I am the same vintage as you and just enjoy blackfishing so much, it is both relaxing and frustrating at the same time. It is quite intoxicating watching, and waiting in anticipation for that float to disappear.

Blackfishing at The Entrance this winter - the biggest blackfish we have 'heard' about this winter has been a 53cm fish caught by a local called 'Frank' [one of the best fisherman I've come across]. We regularly catch fish in the range of 40-43cm when they are 'on', however, the blackfish have virtually disappeared. That's fishing for you.

Have a question for all those chasing the 'big' blackfish, do you keep and eat them ?, I have found the really big fish are not as nice to eat as the smaller say 35cm fish.

Just a note for those new to blackfishing, make sure you give yourself plenty of time to 'bleed' the fish well before cleaning/filletting.

On the topic of the colour of float tips, I have found fishing into the sun early in the morning with a lot of sun glare etc, a solid black coloured tip works for me, with the flouro orange/pink tips working the best with the sun behind me. Anyway all blackfisherman have their own querky ways of doing things.

Will post photos of floats.

Good fishing everyone

Hey Luderick - Angler,

Yes I'm thinking I will adopt your rule and keep the 30-35 fish, and you are correct the flesh is much firmer (much better for sweet and sour fish with rice).

Cheers LA