Harbour 10-11

stevefish

Not much for me to report today, a few squid, 

BUT,

if you're thinking of hitting the harbour in the next couple of days, middle harbour is where it will happen, the sounder was looking like it was in demo mode! bait is stacked and big arches all around, just not interesting in what I could offer today. Had 1 shot but missed it.

its a shitty photo but I could've taken 20 more just like it

IMG_6685.JPG

Edited by stevefish
More info

Hi stevefish, I fish with my son's out of a 4.6 mtr tinny. We normally flick SPs in estuaries but I've always wanted to try the harbour. I have no experience in the harbour, and don't really know where to go. Where is middle harbour, how to I get there and where do I launch from? What type of fish would you target around the bait balls, and what type of rod and reel set up? Is it something that I shouldn't be trying  with my tinny?

31 minutes ago, nwatson said:

Hi stevefish, I fish with my son's out of a 4.6 mtr tinny. We normally flick SPs in estuaries but I've always wanted to try the harbour. I have no experience in the harbour, and don't really know where to go. Where is middle harbour, how to I get there and where do I launch from? What type of fish would you target around the bait balls, and what type of rod and reel set up? Is it something that I shouldn't be trying  with my tinny?

If you launch from the North Bridge ramp and head east to Spit Bridge anything past Spit Bridge to Balmoral (and a bit further east into the open harbour) is Middle Harbour. Correct me if I'm wrong :) Kingies, luderick, whiting, bream, red rock cod, tailor. Squid at the spit bridge.

Where, spit bridge to Roseville ish

launch tunks park or Roseville 

what, kings or the pelagic of the month depending on the season or other species. 

gear, if it's in the open 4 pound and some patience, if it's amongst the poles and moorings much heavier plus some luck. 

its flat flat in most conditions 

get out there and explore!

Middle Harbour is a great area to fish even land-based (though I would love to hire a tinny and check out some of the deeper spots). Plenty of kings and pelagics in the warmer months and some good nooks and crannies for bream and flathead. Also a few good luderick spots.

Cheers for the heads up stevefish!

Edited by Mike89