How to keep Baitfish in an Aquarium

Koalaboi

Hi raiders,

My wife has decommissioned her 6 foot freshwater aquarium and I thought wouldn't it be nice to have somewhere to put those leftover poddies and yakkas etc for next time.

Can anyone help me out with ideas and advice please?

Ta

KB

How long would you be looking to keep them for?

My guess is that a few yakkas/gars/random baitfish should be ok for a few days in a tank provided it has aeration and enough room.

I'd also love to do this! Has anyone had any experience with this?

I would think that you have to filter as much water as possible. So probably will need a Sump of about 20% the capacity of your tank. I don't think fancy lighting will be necessary. Might need a heater to keep temp stable. And air pump is must specially if you are going to have a large number off fish or bigger yakkas

saltwater is notoriously difficult to maintain I believe but don't quote me due to the nitrogen and ammonia cycle being different to freshwater requiring a more intense filtration system, I had a similar vision some years ago with mullet which apparently are not unkillable they only lasted about a day

I usually catch poddy mullet a week or two prior to fishing any competition and have no problems just keeping them in a large bucket with a 240 volt aquarium airator. water gets dirty quickly and I do a complete water change every 2 to 3 days. important to keep in shade preferably inside like a garage and make sure water temp equalises before swapping water. keeping in aquarium with a decent large capacity filter would be easier.

I have also found that trap caught mullet keep better than hook caught ones.

I also keep small yakkas this way but usually only for 2 or 3 days.