Fishing ROD_ Help

Newaz

Hello raiders, 

Raiders here has always been helpful out of the box. Now, wondering if anyone could put in some suggestions on a multi purpose rod that can be used for surf fishing and spinning in the beach. I already have a 12ft surf rod which is a bit heavy; not ideal for spinning out there. I have shimano beastmaster bx 15ft rod in my mind, is it ideal for this purpose? 

Can you guys suggest me a light weight 14-15ft 2 piece rod which I can use for surf idle fishing and spinning as well to cast further. I am mainly targeting salmon tailor kingi bonito. Looking forward. Appreciate your help. 

Newaz :)

Have a look at the Daiwa Crossfire. I think it tops out at 11-12ft but is light & great value for money. I think trying to spin with a 14-15ft rod would be difficult to handle for any period of time, & probably overkill in all but the roughest conditions.

36 minutes ago, Jewhunter said:

Have a look at the Daiwa Crossfire. I think it tops out at 11-12ft but is light & great value for money. I think trying to spin with a 14-15ft rod would be difficult to handle for any period of time, & probably overkill in all but the roughest conditions.

Jewhunter has some good advice Newaz 14-15 ft. is to hard to handle.

1 hour ago, Jewhunter said:

38 minutes ago, blackfish angler said:

Jewhunter has some good advice Newaz 14-15 ft. is to hard to handle.

You guys are right. 14-15ft rod overall ll be hard in times for spinning, i will go for 12ft. You guys r awesome

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yer bro spin rods are normally around the 7/8/9/10 foot mark with a long butt so it can be tucked under your arm pit when you spin.one piece is always better cause you can have mishaps when spinning with a 2 piece rods sometimes / not always but it does happen.I use a 2 piece rod but my preference is one piece and must be a heavy duty spin rod all come with high speed runners your fishing for Spanish Mackerels etc,needs to be up to the standard to land such a fish.

As for the reels must be gear ration minimum 5.1  or  7.1 is best but hard to find.Just use a good quality egg beater with this gear ratio and able to spool 200m of 15 - 20lb line.Good line like schneider.

Good old metal lures, I love them. 40/50/60 grams off the rocks.

Ah and a snap swivel trace.

spray your lures after use with WD-40 its a fish attractant and stops your lures / hooks etc from rusting.

I have a daiwa heavy spin rod from years back I still use today,I think its 7 or 8 foot.

But there are 3 types Light / Medium / Heavy with variants in between if your spinning for big fish off the rocks go with the heavy.

Edited by DMG

• 1 month later...
On 09/02/2017 at 3:43 AM, DMG said:

Yer bro spin rods are normally around the 7/8/9/10 foot mark with a long butt so it can be tucked under your arm pit when you spin.one piece is always better cause you can have mishaps when spinning with a 2 piece rods sometimes / not always but it does happen.I use a 2 piece rod but my preference is one piece and must be a heavy duty spin rod all come with high speed runners your fishing for Spanish Mackerels etc,needs to be up to the standard to land such a fish.

As for the reels must be gear ration minimum 5.1  or  7.1 is best but hard to find.Just use a good quality egg beater with this gear ratio and able to spool 200m of 15 - 20lb line.Good line like schneider.

Good old metal lures, I love them. 40/50/60 grams off the rocks.

Ah and a snap swivel trace.

spray your lures after use with WD-40 its a fish attractant and stops your lures / hooks etc from rusting.

I have a daiwa heavy spin rod from years back I still use today,I think its 7 or 8 foot.

But there are 3 types Light / Medium / Heavy with variants in between if your spinning for big fish off the rocks go with the heavy.

Thanks for the detailed info dmg. Very much appreciated