Can i get blackfish off the rocks on the low outgoing tide?

elferoz777

Hi

Im pkanning on hitting the rocks off austinmer for some blackfish tomorrow. Dont have any time during the day other than from 0700 to 1000. Tide will be approaching its lowest point by 0945. 

Would it be worth having a shot?

My plan b is to go for worms and whiting from the beach at corrimal.

23 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

Definitely worth a shot I'd say.

Some others here might be able to give you a better indication. Where are you planning on going?

Off the rocks on the south end I front of where the headlands hotel used to be at austinmer.

With luderick if it's a first time at a spot ideally you want to fish both sides of a tide and work out which tide they bite on some places produce from the rill to the bottom, others the opposite. Then some will only hold fish on half in to top or top to half out. It's trail and error. I'm lucky to have a lot of Dads knowledge and 35 years of my own. So I know when and where to maximise my chances of a fish! And yes I do donut....lol

YES YOU CAN.

PUT IN THE HARD YARDS AND WORK IT OUT.

WIND: STRENGTH AND DIRECTION, TIME OF YEAR, SWELL SIZE AND DIRECTION, RECENT RAIN ETC ETC. AND OF COURSE THE TIDES: SIZE AND TIMING.

THIS IS THE FUN AND CHALLENGE OF FISHING: WORKING IT ALL OUT SO THAT YOU ONLY GO FISHING WHEN YOU KNOW IN ADVANCE THAT YOU'RE LIKELY TO SCORE A FEED.

KB

1 hour ago, Koalaboi said:

YES YOU CAN.

PUT IN THE HARD YARDS AND WORK IT OUT.

WIND: STRENGTH AND DIRECTION, TIME OF YEAR, SWELL SIZE AND DIRECTION, RECENT RAIN ETC ETC. AND OF COURSE THE TIDES: SIZE AND TIMING.

THIS IS THE FUN AND CHALLENGE OF FISHING: WORKING IT ALL OUT SO THAT YOU ONLY GO FISHING WHEN YOU KNOW IN ADVANCE THAT YOU'RE LIKELY TO SCORE A FEED.

KB

Well if nothing else I can put tomorrow down in the diary as a success or failure and tick some things of the list wgen I head back the next time.

That's the way.

Be observant when you arrive at your spot. What is the swell direction? Where do the waves wash over the rocks which have weed growing on them? Where does that water return to the ocean? How deep is it?

Did you try a little berley to encourage the fish to bite? Are there any other spots to try on the headland you are fishing? Is the wind behind you or in your face?

Don't be overly patient, if you're not getting downs change things: bait, depth of rig, different spot.

When you get back, let us know how you went!

Good luck.

KB

Well the downs were there but the swell and wind made sure i was getting tangled so i left to my usual spot.

Looks good but next time  I will try a 1.5m swell and hopefully a ne wind. I found good weed abd a decent ledge that gets the wash.

• 3 weeks later...

I have caught Blackfish at low tide and high tide in hot sun on clear days and overcast days,calm days,rough days some of these times have been completely against the Blackfish Bible but you can still catch fish.

Other times in the best conditions considered I have caught nothing.

There are best times and tides and best weather conditions to catch them but nothing is impossible you just lower your chances when fishing at times when its not as productive but fish can still be caught.

How many times have you had a spur of the moment idea to go fishing and you check the tide and its not good for you,so you dont go.

Well when i get this idea and the tides are wrong I go anyway !

I will give it a go regardless of the tide because half the fun of fishing is being there and doing something you love,yes I have stood there for hours and caught nothing but you know what,fishing is still fun just being there.

Sometimes you win , sometimes the fish win makes the sport exciting,imagine how boring fishing would be if every time you went you caught something.

Its the not knowing if you will catch something today that gets you hooked.Pardon the pun.

Edited by DMG

8 hours ago, DMG said:

I have caught Blackfish at low tide and high tide in hot sun on clear days and overcast days,calm days,rough days some of these times have been completely against the Blackfish Bible but you can still catch fish.

Other times in the best conditions considered I have caught nothing.

There are best times and tides and best weather conditions to catch them but nothing is impossible you just lower your chances when fishing at times when its not as productive but fish can still be caught.

How many times have you had a spur of the moment idea to go fishing and you check the tide and its not good for you,so you dont go.

Well when i get this idea and the tides are wrong I go anyway !

I will give it a go regardless of the tide because half the fun of fishing is being there and doing something you love,yes I have stood there for hours and caught nothing but you know what,fishing is still fun just being there.

Sometimes you win , sometimes the fish win makes the sport exciting,imagine how boring fishing would be if every time you went you caught something.

Its the not knowing if you will catch something today that gets you hooked.Pardon the pun.

True

I mostly like the prep and anticipation e.g getting the weed prep the burley get to the spot but the best is the downs and rod bendage.

I once commented on here a few yrs ago  i was sick of catching salmon everytime i hit stanwell pk beach. After that post i didnt get another for 18 months....the lesson was learnt then now i enjoy the beach and the wind down waiting for the rod to buckle. Its also the only fishing you can do witha beer or playing with the kids.

• 3 weeks later...