Reel Suggestion off Rocks

leoantho

Hi Guys,

I'm looing to get a new rock for fishing off ths rocks to be matched with a 10ft 10kg rod I currently have. I have a budget of max $300 and just after some suggestions on what to get and what size eg 6000 or 8000. I have had a look and the Shimano Socorro or Baitrunner D look like they might be good. Mainly looking to use for baits and need the cast distance for where I normally go to get past the wash/swell. Also interested to know if I should go mono or braid I have had mixed suggestions on this and what strength.

Any help/suggestions would be great.

Have a look at the Daiwa BG, someone on this forum will suggest it.

Im more of a Shimano man and im personally looking at a Spheros SW or Saragosa SW for the same reasons for a rod i built

As for line type that is up to you. To me its personal preference for mono or braid.

3 hours ago, xerotao said:

Have a look at the Daiwa BG, someone on this forum will suggest it.

Im more of a Shimano man and im personally looking at a Spheros SW or Saragosa SW for the same reasons for a rod i built

As for line type that is up to you. To me its personal preference for mono or braid.

Thanks for the suggestion the BG does look like a nice option to go for have yet to get a Daiwa reel, any suggestion for the size? Spheros or Socorro are also up on the table still.

I would also recomend the saragosa, somewhere in the 5000-8000 size. By the way my daughter has been using one of the older saragosa 8000 reels on everything from big kings to bluefin tuna. 

The stradic fk 5000 is also a nice little light weight reel which we've been using on kings this last week, just depends on what you are targeting.

Jon

12 minutes ago, JonD said:

I would also recomend the saragosa, somewhere in the 5000-8000 size. By the way my daughter has been using one of the older saragosa 8000 reels on everything from big kings to bluefin tuna. 

The stradic fk 5000 is also a nice little light weight reel which we've been using on kings this last week, just depends on what you are targeting.

Jon

Just going for what I can rocks but mostly salmon and bonito ios what I seem to be able to get. Was thinking of a size 6000 if i go for a shimano not sure what diawa sizes are compared to shimano's.

For $240 you can pick up the stradic fk 5000, we've been extremely impressed using ours on light game (small tuna and kings).I cast winner 2015.

These are light reels that make casting lures all day easy depending on what rod you use. Check out some of the youtube videos on it.

Edited by JonD

I think a 4000 or 4500 daiwa would be similar to a shimano 5000 and 6000

iv always used braid on the rocks wether it be bait or spinning lures

braid strength depends on your target  id say 20lbs for salmons, tailors and rat kings. a bit heaver for kings

I wouldn't go above 30lb, the most you will be able to lift with a long rod will be around 3kg. Try it with a 3lt bottle filled with water, it takes some lifting, so what's the point in heavier line if the most drag you can pull is around   3-4kg. Thinner line will allow the reel to hold more and cast better, I opt for more line as this gives you more time to turn a big fish.

38 minutes ago, JonD said:

I wouldn't go above 30lb, the most you will be able to lift with a long rod will be around 3kg. Try it with a 3lt bottle filled with water, it takes some lifting, so what's the point in heavier line if the most drag you can pull is around   3-4kg. Thinner line will allow the reel to hold more and cast better, I opt for more line as this gives you more time to turn a big fish.

Was thinking the same thing but was told by someone should go 50lb. Thanks for help most likely going to get the BG5000 and put 30lb braid on it.

leoantho

Have a trawl online through "Cash Converters"  you might be able to pick up an older model Shimano Saragosa or large BTR 'D",

or even a newer model .... might even get a TiCa Talisman, Alan Hawk rated them up with 2013 Stellas !!!

This could save you even more money, and give you extra to "decent braid / mono"

You would be amazed at what you could pick up... and not trashed reels either , all nice and clean, and original boxes !!

So, don't sell yourself short , small amount of decent homework, and you could be anywhere from $150-200 in front !!

Don't always have to go to a tackle shop to buy fishing gear ... anyway, if the store is near you, go in and check it out.

The savings, could even allow you to do a full drag washer replacement with Carbon Fibre washers....

Hope this gives you more options leoantho ...

money these days is getting harder to save, let alone lash out on a "new reel" , sometimes 2nd hand is as good...

Great_White

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest123456789

Anything more than a 6000 reel and 30lbs mainline is overkill for salmon and Bonito and smaller kings from the rocks. Personally I mostly fish 20lbs braid for Bonito and tailor and 10kg trace on a 6000 reel. I also have two lighter set ups if I need to use smaller, lighter lures and leaders (5000 reel with 15lbs and 4000 reel with 10lbs).

The trick is to double the line when attaching your hook/lure, this is where most of the load is concentrated and the first point of failure (assuming no nicks in other points of the line). 

suggest you take your rod into the store and fit the reel to it. Fishing an 8000 reel and 10 foot rod from the rocks for a few hours will be a real workout.

id also suggest getting a reel that has no anti reverse as they too often fail in a saltwater environment. Carbon fibre washers too, but $200+ all the reels you look at should have that as standard.

cant go wrong with shimano, daiwa, penn or pfleugar IMO I have all these reels and the quality is evident. It will probably come down to what your tackle store had in stock and how much they're asking for it (I love end of range discounts).

Ultegra Ci4 5500.   Have a close look at these Ultegra reels. They are in a class of there own.    Highly recomend them. I use them off the beach with 13' 6''  Wilson Live Fibre rods and 15 lb Fins 40g Braid.    Mainly for Bream and Whiting with 15 lb leadeer, Salmon and Tailor with 20 lb leader and 30 lb from the swivell to the hooks or lure . This reel it overkill on these species. Often feels like your only winding in your bait.   Regards Howard.