Fig Tree Bridge & Tarban Creek Report

Agent X

Tried the above-mentioned spots today with 2 mates. They were on soft plastics while I opted for the fly. Reached FTB (Fig Tree Bridge) at abt 530 in the morning and waded out to the sandbar. Lures & fly used were Bass Minnows and Black-Bodied Baited Breath.

Things looked encouraging as a flattie was landed on the baited breath within the first 5 mins. I then went on to miss another one a few moments later. There were also a couple of misses on them soft plastics.

post-1073-1130074912_thumb.jpg

post-1073-1130074932_thumb.jpg

But the fish shut down as the tide started to move in... the flatties can be seen facing into the current and slightly off the bottom, their shadows giving away their positions... they were not spooked by the flyline landing only a feet away from them, but they didnt wanna know abt artificial food either. Two other fishos were there as well, and they too had a tough time trying to get a hit. I crossed over to the other side and had a chat with a gentleman fishing with bait - he already had 2 nice sized breams in the keeper net...

Went back to the drawing board and decided to head over to Tarban Creek for a fish. Things again looked promising with many small breams swimming in close. But the proof of the pie was in the eating and things were pretty quiet over here too... as advised by Jo, I fired a few 90 plus foot casts trying to reach the opposite bank where the timber steps were. A few casts later yielded a little flounder...

post-1073-1130074947_thumb.jpg

post-1073-1130074964_thumb.jpg

My mates landed another flounder and 2 small flatties before we packed up... hoping to do better next time.

Edited by Agent X

Great report.

I fished Tarban Creek early sat morn 6am till 8am for 1x small lizard and 1x chopper

I had a flick at FTB 6am till 7.30am this morning and managed 1x lizard 30cm and 1x lizard 40cm

All fishing with Soft Plastics.

I am yet to try fly

Sorry, I might have put them off a bit :biggrin2: I fished Figtree late Saturday for 4 flatties and a bream on SPs plus I dropped a couple of bigger flatties (only had #6 hooks). Went there hoping the rain had stirred up the bream, but it was the other way round. Almost no bream taps, but lots of flathead.

The river is still incredibly clear, even at dead low. There obviously hasn't been enough rain to cause significant runoff. Also, water temp is down from past weeks. Don't know whether its due to the lack of sun the past week, or the rain, but I think this has caused the bream to shut down a little.

Cheers,

Jeff

These are what we got fishing with X. The other flounder took our mates 2" pseed grub while all my flatties were on the same plastic. Actually got 3 flatties the biggest only 33cm. I've yet to conquer on flounder and they seem to "shake" better than flatty when i saw my mate's rod tip action. :(

post-283-1130126844_thumb.jpg

post-283-1130126882_thumb.jpg

Gday guys

Hit Tarban creek on 23/10 yesterday between 12 and 330pm - plenty of hits but only pulled one 35 cm flattie on a crazy charlie type pattern. The wind became annoying interms of casting so I tried to entice some bream that were clearly visible polaroiding near the Mangroves - they were not interested in anything I threw at them (we're talking six changes of pattern). Oh well....next time...

Great report.

I fished Tarban Creek early sat morn 6am till 8am for 1x small lizard and 1x chopper

I had a flick at FTB 6am till 7.30am this morning and managed 1x lizard 30cm and 1x lizard 40cm

All fishing with Soft Plastics.

I am yet to try fly

G'day there... glad you did good this mrng! I reckon that FTB's a great place to fly :1prop: . Shallow flats and tons of room for long back-casts...

Hope to bump into some raiders the next time round!

Hi adrian_nasti, we left tarban an hour earlier before u came or would have definitely notice u (u can't go past a flyfisherman for sure). Good job on the flatty. A pity that place is not really well sheltered from any winds though but we've sussed out couple of good looking spots for hardbodying. :biggrin2:

Hi adrian_nasti, we left tarban an hour earlier before u came or would have definitely notice u (u can't go past a flyfisherman for sure). Good job on the flatty. A pity that place is not really well sheltered from any winds though but we've sussed out couple of good looking spots for hardbodying. :biggrin2:

It does get windy down there - seems to channel through the creek valley and directly into my flyline! I like the spot because its relatively quiet and easy re the backcasts - catch you there some other time!

Lurespinner: we were on the flat for most of the morning, there was another gentleman fishing on the bank opposite the flat and some others along the Cummingham Reach Park (all using bait) after the bridge where deeper water was closer. You can see that the deeper portion was initially closer to the bank opposite the flat, then shifting closer towards Cunningham Park after the bridge. But I reckon the opposite wall from the flat looks more fishy than the park...

post-1073-1130245071_thumb.jpg

Edited by Agent X