Faulty minn Kota remote

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

On the minn Kota riptide I had the power fail on the remote. It was only 6 months old and well looked after. Tried new batteries, definitely a warranty.

I took the remote to the local dealer I purchased from and they got it fixed and returned to me in 5 business days. I thought that was pretty good service :) Cost me $0

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem with mine and the dealer took care of it in about the same time, too.

I sometimes find the motor does not always respond to the remote, at least not straight away.  Thought it was the battery but fresh ones made no difference.  It's like you have to be pointing directly at the motor from fairly close but I often sit  behind the side console and try to control it, so it's a bit frustrating. Also when you have a fish on and you're trying to adjust the drift of the boat to keep it off the rocks!  What's your experience with this type of situation?

Guest Guest123456789

@Berleyguts I don't havea console its tiller steer. But the Bluetooth is great, get a good 50 metres range. Sounds like yours might be faulty, if it's still under warranty I'd be demanding a new remote.

4 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

@Berleyguts I don't havea console its tiller steer. But the Bluetooth is great, get a good 50 metres range. Sounds like yours might be faulty, if it's still under warranty I'd be demanding a new remote.

Lol! It's Bluetooth? I thought it was infrared and my rotund mate was getting in the way, so I fished solo and only got marginal improvement. It's 3 years old. I'll have another look at it and give them a ring soon.  The boat's been up at Port Stephens since September but I'll be there for good myself in a couple of weeks. ? I was thinking it was the motor and I thought it had to be shipped to Qld for service.

50m is a good range! I'd really like to use the anchor lock feature when launching solo! If it's just the remote that would be a blessing.

Edited by Berleyguts
Typo. FFS (Fat Finger Syndrome)!

Guest Guest123456789

The other option is to buy a helix 7 sounder and the ipilot link so you can control the electric from the console using a wired connection. Not cheap though, maybe $1000. If you need a new sounder anyway then it's worth considering.

12 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

I sometimes find the motor does not always respond to the remote, at least not straight away.  Thought it was the battery but fresh ones made no difference.  It's like you have to be pointing directly at the motor from fairly close but I often sit  behind the side console and try to control it, so it's a bit frustrating. 

Hi. Not sure if you know or not but when the Ipilot is first turned on you need to wait for a GPS signal before you can use the GPS based functions. Sometimes takes a minute or 2.  The other 'manual' buttons should work straight away.  

Other than that, the remote should work from atleast 20m. Definitely anywhere on the boat. If not either the remote or unit has a fault. 

The circuit board, which is a known problem, in my 50lb Minn Kota packed up. The first sign was the motor rotating backwards and forwards about 300°. There was no hesitation from the dealer to have it repaired under warranty. They provide very good warranty and back up service.

On 3/1/2017 at 4:50 PM, Cargo05 said:

The circuit board, which is a known problem, in my 50lb Minn Kota packed up. The first sign was the motor rotating backwards and forwards about 300°. There was no hesitation from the dealer to have it repaired under warranty. They provide very good warranty and back up service.

Thanks. After 3 years, I'm assuming it's out of warranty.  It's just such a hassle dragging the boat to the dealer! lol

On 3/1/2017 at 8:20 AM, Roylo said:

Hi. Not sure if you know or not but when the Ipilot is first turned on you need to wait for a GPS signal before you can use the GPS based functions. Sometimes takes a minute or 2.  The other 'manual' buttons should work straight away.  

Other than that, the remote should work from atleast 20m. Definitely anywhere on the boat. If not either the remote or unit has a fault. 

Thanks. It's just steering and speed control that are my main concern, so I don't think it's GPS related.  Ill give it a run at Port Stephens in a couple of weeks and look more closely at what's going on.

I just tested the motor and remote in the front yard. First, I relearned the remote. It does work from 5 or 6m away but again, sometimes it does not respond and I have to move the remote around until it does. As this is the second remote I am starting to suspect that there may be an issue with the motor itself.

Does anybody know about shipping an electric motor to Brisbane?