FG vs Modified Albright Knot

foolforjesus

20 minutes ago, Roylo said:

A leader which is too short lowers your chances of catching a fish, and increases the chance of abrasion on the braid. I would think of a better solution such as an improved knot.

I like to run a leader of about a rod length and have the knot just off the spool when casting. 

How often have you lost fish because of a short leader? When braid first appeared everyone said you couldnt use it for rockfishing  because it abrades easily. I fiddled around with it on spin sticks for LBG for a few years - including using twisted leader system, long leaders, short leaders, albrights, double unis, wind ons all sorts of complicated ways of rigging. In the end i went back to a 50 turn bimini of about 20cm and a 40-60lb mono leader (depending on what i was chasing) . I dont recall at anytime catching less fish than those around me and I dont recall being smoked by any kings that wouldnt of smoked me anyway ! (and ive been smoked more times than I care to remember) . I still get back to my point that even if you tie a very good FG knot after its been wound through the guides a few dozen times its going to start to weaken, perhaps not as fast as an albright going out on a cast but the same factors come into play , if you dont have to wind the knot through , then dont. I do use long leaders in some situations- like blackfishing, trolling for trout and flathead but with light tackle I can count on the fingers of my hands the times ive lost a fish/lure due to leader knot failure AND every one was because the knot was getting old or I hadnt tied it properly. There are no magic bullets in knotology except for this ,KISS! The less complicated the less chance of an error.

1 hour ago, PaddyT said:

How often have you lost fish because of a short leader? When braid first appeared everyone said you couldnt use it for rockfishing  because it abrades easily. I fiddled around with it on spin sticks for LBG for a few years - including using twisted leader system, long leaders, short leaders, albrights, double unis, wind ons all sorts of complicated ways of rigging. In the end i went back to a 50 turn bimini of about 20cm and a 40-60lb mono leader (depending on what i was chasing) . I dont recall at anytime catching less fish than those around me and I dont recall being smoked by any kings that wouldnt of smoked me anyway ! (and ive been smoked more times than I care to remember) . I still get back to my point that even if you tie a very good FG knot after its been wound through the guides a few dozen times its going to start to weaken, perhaps not as fast as an albright going out on a cast but the same factors come into play , if you dont have to wind the knot through , then dont. I do use long leaders in some situations- like blackfishing, trolling for trout and flathead but with light tackle I can count on the fingers of my hands the times ive lost a fish/lure due to leader knot failure AND every one was because the knot was getting old or I hadnt tied it properly. There are no magic bullets in knotology except for this ,KISS! The less complicated the less chance of an error.

Ok

Thanks for all the constructive comments Guy's.

I agree that no knot is bulletproof, and I'm glad I put this post up, as it's actually made me more confident that what I'm doing is right.

The type of finesse fishing I'm doing, I always like to go with at least a rod length (7-9ft) of leader.

I've never tried half this length or less to see if I catch just as much, but imo, unless you're casting for pelagic fish, or fishing dirty water, your chances of catching greatly improve with a longer leader.

To be honest, leaders are a whole different topic, which as with knots has many variables.

Braid vs mono, mono vs fluoro etc etc...Fishing lol.

So for me, I can't get away from casting the knot through the rod guides.

I'll keep doing what I'm doing, and I'll incorporate the suggestions of tweaking the albright knot to see how it goes.

Tight lines!

Guest Guest123456789
3 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Of course you're absolutely right which can be proved by tying a lure straight to braid. You'll hook just as many fish as someone with Fluoro or mono leader.

That said I do like at least a metre, ideally 3 metres of low stretch mono leader primarily as a shock absorber to stop me pulling hooks but also to provide some protection against sharp teeth or occasionally rubbing against rock. Black fishing I like 5 metres.

And even an FG knot will get caught on guides if the line is too thick which is another reason to fish mainline on the lighter side of the rod weighting. Eg I have a samaki spinning rod rated 12 to 24lbs. I use 15lbs braid and an FG knot that runs through the guides without issue. If I used 20lbs braid it would catch on the last small guide.

for those that don't already know it, this is a really, really great way to tie FGs. As he says in the clip, the hardest bit becomes putting in the the half hitches after the FG is tied

I reckon, for leaders 10lb & heavier, it's a no-brainer. Scratchie, this works in a kayak in 30 knots no probs - :)

For lighter leaders - again, just I reckon - the story is a bit more complicated. The FG, if you tie it perfectly is great for light braid to light leader but, there's at least two things that go wrong. 1. It's hard not to damage the leader by sliding the leader against the braid during the first few turns of the FG - before friction settles things down. 2. if you don't keep both braid and leader tight at the beginning (which is one way to avoid sliding line on line ....) you tend to get a small kink on the first twist and, again, things will break super easily. For me, FG on light braid to light leader, even though it can work, is just too hard to get right.

I used to use a modified albright but have since ditched that and now use straight though fluoro when fish light - 4lb and under. Simpler and totally reliable.

There's a youtube clip, titled 'Bushy Talks About How to Catch Bream', where he describes a version of the slim beauty that he uses. I had a few goes at trying to figure it out and couldn't. Would love to hear from anyone here who has or can, it sounds like a great knot for light leaders and I am sure Buishy has had more than enough time fishing to figure out a sensible option

Edited by HenryR