Moon phases and Jewfish in Sydney harbour

plankton

Not long ago I was into one of the hottest bites I have ever had in the harbour. I was at anchor and barely had enough time to bait a hook before another run on a different line from a big Jewie. It was the kind of stuff dreams are made of. We landed a good one that didn't go anywhere near as hard as some I couldn't stop on 30lb (lost due to runs around moorings). I'm  wondering if the secret to catching Mulloway rests around the moon and tide. Attached is a calender for the moon phases during February: 

IMG_0406.PNG

There are may theories and they all sound good to the hopeful Jewie Fisherman!

Given that you probably know the day of your hot bite you probably also know ( or could find) the moon phase, tide and time for that particular session, you are probably in a good position to tell us something!

When I used to fish a lot for Jewies  I liked to fish at night, at the top of the tide change around well lit wharfs or bridges with live squid. In fact usually ,  where I caught the live squid is my chosen spot because the Jewies know this too.

My mates (and a few of the Harbour guides, based on their articles ) would say that say that live squid, location  and turn of the tide are the main things and certainly they catch a lot of Jewies during the day dispelling my night theory.

I think that there is conjecture around things like this  because there are variables that can line up in different ways and with different significance on the day. I see the variables as time of day, tide , moon phase, location, bait & presentation, angler skill & determination, presence of fish and perhaps a handful of other factors such as barometric pressure and water quality.

These factors have various weighting attached to them. Live squid as bait is worth a lot of points in the equation, perhaps moon phase less. Still, you can do everything right but the main factor may well be that the fish have to be there are actively feeding ... we'll call that the X-Factor and it sounds like you had that on the night!

So what was the time, tide, moonphase and bait on the day of your hot bite?

Cheers

Jim

The most ignored fact with these discussions is that Jewies need to eat every day/night regardless of the moon phase.  Accoustic tagging by DPI in the Georges River has proven that they have resting and feeding stations and periods. It is my belief and experience that the tides and moon phases just dictates where and when bait will congregate and therefore where they eat on a given day.  Most successful jew fishos have just figured out the best time/tides etc for the particular spot they fish.

For exampe my fave spot in Botany Bay fishes best at night regardless of moon/tide phases, howevere most success regarding catching multiple fish in a night seems to be on the smaller tides.  Run in/out both work but I prefer run in as you usually catch more squid as you fish to use as livies.

Ron

On 3/3/2017 at 11:54 AM, campr said:

The most ignored fact with these discussions is that Jewies need to eat every day/night regardless of the moon phase.  Accoustic tagging by DPI in the Georges River has proven that they have resting and feeding stations and periods. It is my belief and experience that the tides and moon phases just dictates where and when bait will congregate and therefore where they eat on a given day.  Most successful jew fishos have just figured out the best time/tides etc for the particular spot they fish.

For exampe my fave spot in Botany Bay fishes best at night regardless of moon/tide phases, however most success regarding catching multiple fish in a night seems to be on the smaller tides.  Run in/out both work but I prefer run in as you usually catch more squid as you fish to use as livies.

Ron

Can't agree more Ron,

I think your comments  reiterate those particular factors which successful Fishos's rely on.

I used to fish night times because my chosen locations only worked at night so I developed a strategy based on that and naturally I thought that must reflect the habits of the fish.  In later years I came to understand from the experience of other fisherman that the time of day was not as critical as it was in my experience and clearly that was because of the location I was fishing.

I am going to explore  this old haunt of mine. It's a land based spot and because of its location in the harbour you can only really fish it at night otherwise the boat and ferry traffic make it impractical to fish.

Hmmm... all this talk of Jewies is making me want to go for a fish!

Cheers

Jim

Thanks for all of the advice. I tend to agree with everything although some of what is covered in the YouTube video is hard to accept. I know that for example, since I posted this thread I have fished this spot of mine twice and been there on the same slack tide and caught Hair Tale, but no jewies. I still tend to think the Jewies mill about more on particular moon phases. The video "Local Knowledge" stresses this too. I'm going to try the identical moon in future and conclude the theory one way or the other. Stay tuned.

Edited by plankton

On 03/03/2017 at 10:27 AM, fragmeister said:

There are may theories and they all sound good to the hopeful Jewie Fisherman!

Given that you probably know the day of your hot bite you probably also know ( or could find) the moon phase, tide and time for that particular session, you are probably in a good position to tell us something!

When I used to fish a lot for Jewies  I liked to fish at night, at the top of the tide change around well lit wharfs or bridges with live squid. In fact usually ,  where I caught the live squid is my chosen spot because the Jewies know this too.

My mates (and a few of the Harbour guides, based on their articles ) would say that say that live squid, location  and turn of the tide are the main things and certainly they catch a lot of Jewies during the day dispelling my night theory.

I think that there is conjecture around things like this  because there are variables that can line up in different ways and with different significance on the day. I see the variables as time of day, tide , moon phase, location, bait & presentation, angler skill & determination, presence of fish and perhaps a handful of other factors such as barometric pressure and water quality.

These factors have various weighting attached to them. Live squid as bait is worth a lot of points in the equation, perhaps moon phase less. Still, you can do everything right but the main factor may well be that the fish have to be there are actively feeding ... we'll call that the X-Factor and it sounds like you had that on the night!

So what was the time, tide, moonphase and bait on the day of your hot bite?

Cheers

Jim

Oh, and Jim sorry to seem so elusive. The hot bite came on the bottom of the low tide into the first two of the run in on the waning gibbous moon, 94% full and 16 days old. This Tuesday is the almost identical moon, (97% full) but all other variables are the same. I will be giving it another go pending good conditions. Bait was fresh big Squid strips and heads presented perfectly (I'm rather proud of my bait presentation skills) and it was at night.

Edited by plankton