Joining the world of Fly Fishing

Wellzy94

Picked up my first fly fishing rod over the weekend. Got a Vision Keeper entry kit, which came with a 4-piece rod, reel (already spooled with line + leader tied on), rod tube, a couple of flies and some cheapo sunglasses.

Looking forward to hitting the park and learning to cast, then getting to the water!

On a side note, I'm absolutely in love with the camera on my new phone. 21 megapixels!

Cheers,

Wellzy

IMAG0069.jpg

IMAG0070.jpg

24 minutes ago, Archillies said:

Am considering as well could u tell me how much and what weighting?

Thanks

Hey mate, my entry kit cost me $200. 5/6wt, 9' rod, 4-piece.

@Hooked-Up It'll mainly be freshwater, probably bass as a starter than trout once I get the hang of it!

Cheers,

Wellzy

2 hours ago, Archillies said:

Am considering as well could u tell me how much and what weighting?

Thanks

My advice to Wellzy was don't go the cheap and nasty get a reputable starter kit from a shop. Next question what's your target species different weight rods amd actions for different applications. A 5/6 weight 9 foot will cover most small to medium freshwater amd light salt ie bass trout carp mullet been amd luderick. Whereas kings salmon small tuna, Murray cod need heavier faster action rods to turn over bigger flies. You are talking 8 to 12 weights in 8 to 9 feet. Then there's the short twig water rods for small stream trout  in 0 to 3 weights. It's a world of many variables amd a lot of gimmicks. PM me if you'd like to go to a shop amd chat I can recommend a good one in the Sydney area if that where your located. 

Hi Wellzy,

Welcome to the world of fly fishing. Out of curiosity how much do you know about fly fishing technique? Have you tried it before or do you have a friend who is proficient at it. My first rod was a freshwater 7 weight and I ended up doing a course taught by a trout fisherman to shortcut the learning process. Rarely have I felt so uncoordinated. Furthermore the only time I have ever properly hooked myself was with that fly rod. It was a really really small fly so I wasn't left screaming in pain. :D I also own a 9 weight saltwater rod which I use from the kayak on Sydney harbour.

When you get it right it is almost therapeutic and it is a pleasure watching that line sailing out and gently dropping on the surface of the water.

I learned on grass but when you get on water it is so much easier to load the rod up. When you can learn the roll cast too. Surprisingly what distance you can get with that. Tie some wool on the end of the tippet instead of using a fly. That way when it clips you you don't end up with an ear piercing which your mother will grill you about.

Regards,

Derek

Thanks Derek! Royce has kindly offered to help me out with the basics. I've watched some videos by a teacher in the US, and I'll be hitting the park this week to practice (weather permitting!)

Cheers, 

Wellzy

13 hours ago, Rah said:

Good on ya Wellzy. It's on my list. I'm sure you will let us know how you get on. 

Cheers

Tara

I'm pretty excited! If we ever catch up for a bass session I'll bring it along! And of course there will be reports :) 

Cheers, 

Wellzy

Hi Wellzy,

Good on ya Mate! The ol fly rod certainly has a way of getting under your skin.

Before you know it you'll be tying flies!

On a serious note, there is some great tutorial videos online, specifically with an american fly fishing guide.

Just search for Hank Patterson. He's an expert in all things Fly Fishing.

You can thank me later!

Cheers, Chris

I've heard of Hank, definitely need to watch his stuff! Haha.

I've been watching Lefty Kreh's videos on casting tutorials. The weather's supposed to clear up later in the week and I'll get to practicing in the park! :)

Cheers,

Wellzy

On a serious note tips if your taking up fly casting 1 watch Lefty Kreh tutorials 2 get a casting lesson 3 read the five basics of fly casting and 4 try a fly rod before you buy by going to a reputable tackle store in your area or ask someone you know who fly fishes if you can try one of their rods. Beware of cheap internet rods on that website! Get a reputable brand with a good warranty ie Sage Reddington TFO or Vision and the like