where do they go?

codymanly

Just wondering, when the colder months roll round, where do all the fish go? I'm land based and fish in Sydney, but it seems they're already starting to shut down in middle harbour.

Is it that they head elsewhere for warmer water or just don't feed as much?

Cheers guys

As previously stated it depends on species.  My fave are dusky flathead who mostly remain in system and spread themselves out upstream over winter.  Their metabolism slows right down in the cold and they eat a lot less.  Being spread out more and eating less they become harder to catch and a lot think they have gone somewhere.  While some species migrate to warmer water, things do change and there is now evidence that quite a few big kingfish now remain in harbours like Sydneys throughout the year even though the majority migrate out to the reefs.

The trick is to change what you chase through the seasons. e.g In winter I switch to fishing for squid, John Dory, Trevally, Hairtail etc.  Good luck.    Ron

On 09/04/2017 at 9:28 PM, campr said:

As previously stated it depends on species.  My fave are dusky flathead who mostly remain in system and spread themselves out upstream over winter.  Their metabolism slows right down in the cold and they eat a lot less.  Being spread out more and eating less they become harder to catch and a lot think they have gone somewhere.  While some species migrate to warmer water, things do change and there is now evidence that quite a few big kingfish now remain in harbours like Sydneys throughout the year even though the majority migrate out to the reefs.

The trick is to change what you chase through the seasons. e.g In winter I switch to fishing for squid, John Dory, Trevally, Hairtail etc.  Good luck.    Ron

thanks Ron! much appreciated mate!