Jervis Bay

GreasePit

G'day raiders,
A trip to Jarvis Bay has just popped up and i'll be going down in a few weeks time.
Anyone have any advice on where to fish as i've never been to the area.
I'll be landbased and happy to fish off the stones and beaches.

Keen to get stuck into some kings and spin for some pelagics (any bonito around this time of year?).
Maybe go for a jew off one of the beaches, so if anyone knows of any areas to catch squid or slimies/yakkas that would be a godsend.

Any advice and tips would be brilliant.
Thanks in advance raiders
-Chris

As Short said there's some great rock fishing around Beecroft Peninsula. At this time of year there's normally kings, bonito, mack tuna and plenty of frigates about. Other than the kings, a 6kg spin outfit will handle the rest.

Its also a good time to throw a metal off the ocean beaches for salmon and tailor plus there should still be the odd jew lurking.

If your after some squid for bait, inside the bay is best. Try around Callala Bay or Murrays Beach, just depends on where you're staying.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2017 at 9:46 PM, Short said:

Have a crack at the ledges on the beecroft peninsula. It's land based game fishing mecca - they get tuna and Marlin off there at this time if year!!

On 4/14/2017 at 9:43 AM, Green Hornet said:

As Short said there's some great rock fishing around Beecroft Peninsula. At this time of year there's normally kings, bonito, mack tuna and plenty of frigates about. Other than the kings, a 6kg spin outfit will handle the rest.

Its also a good time to throw a metal off the ocean beaches for salmon and tailor plus there should still be the odd jew lurking.

If your after some squid for bait, inside the bay is best. Try around Callala Bay or Murrays Beach, just depends on where you're staying.

Cheers for the info guys, got stuck into plenty of bonito, frigates and mac tuna, all caught and released.

18159852_10209018366445328_454833178_o.jpg

18083803_10209018365925315_178755956_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Green Hornet, I'm heading up the JB tomorrow and will also be land based, got a light rig for squid, and heavy rig alvey beach rod with me. Whereabouts did you go to fish? I'll be based out of huskisson?

Hi Grease pit, I'm heading up the JB tomorrow and will also be land based, got a light rig for squid, and heavy rig alvey beach rod with me. Whereabouts did you go to fish? I'll be based out of huskisson?

Anything really, just looking for some good sport off one of the beaches. I've got a 2 gang hook rig with a running sinker and some salted pilchards. Not sure where to go or how I'll do. Kingfish would be amazing, or flathead, tailor salmon, I'm not fussy! But I need advice

2 hours ago, deetee said:

Anything really, just looking for some good sport off one of the beaches. I've got a 2 gang hook rig with a running sinker and some salted pilchards. Not sure where to go or how I'll do. Kingfish would be amazing, or flathead, tailor salmon, I'm not fussy! But I need advice

The whole area is a pretty great fishery.
Can't go past the tubes, i'd just spin for bonnies and mac's, had a blast with them whilst i was there, caught a few big dirty salmon as by catch which were heaps of fun. You just have to be wary of the swell and the walk down. Use the search function and you should find some info about the area.
I'm no expert on JB but from what i've been told and what the local tacklestore owners have said, most of the ocean beaches produce fish.
Best of luck mate

Any rocky areas with a bit of kelp around will generally hold a few squid, just be aware of the marine park sanctuary zones.

As GreasePit said, the ocean beaches will generally fish better than those inside the bay with your heavier outfit. A good place to start is the beach running between Culburra and Currarong. Tailor, salmon and bream are worth targeting with your salted pilchards.

If the ocean beaches are too rough and you don't mind spending a few bucks to get into the national park, the rocks around Murrays Beach are worth a go too.

Edited by Green Hornet