Avoca rocks, what conditions are safe

Volitan

I think so.

i saw your other post, about whether pelagics are still around and this is how I see it. You have to remember though that every year is different.

bonito - mainly Dec to April

watsons leaping bonito - Jan to april

frigate mackerel - feb to april

mack tuna - small ones are feb to April. larger ones not sure, but I do know they come in closer some years in autumn chasing ogilvys hardyheads and sandy sprats. The hardyheads are very erratic, so therefore are the larger macs.

tailor - year round for the smaller ones, but the bigger ones (greenbacks) should arrive late autumn to early winter and stay around for a few months,

salmon - here year round but the big persistent schools are from mid winter to mid spring - say august to November. The peak is probably October for Sydney heads or the lower Hawkesbury. 

Kingfish - the rats are pelagics to a degree but the bigger ones are reef fish. Start about October, through to about April or May. They are probably here year round but I'm talking about the period when they are most likely to be surface feeding and acting like pelagics.

longtail tuna. I wish. Early to mid spring when the warm currents are at their max. Ditto spotted mackerel and Coba, rare as they are at this latitude.

i need to make it clear these are the periods of peak activity - odd stuff will always turn up out of season. Also, just repeating every year is different. The last two years seem to have been pretty quite for almost all the species mentioned.

also there is a slow change over time. I never saw those little Mack tuna around Sydney at all ten years ago,now they are in plague numbers in autumn. Likewise, never saw a Watsons till a few years ago.

there is also a slow change as the season goes on. Fish get smarter and hard to catch as they gain experience, leading you to think they are not around, but they can just be getting very hard to catch. I find catching rat kings surface feeding in the estuaries is easy in November but by January they are getting too smart - nearly impossible to tempt.

cheers

arron

Edited by Volitan

On 5/23/2017 at 9:42 PM, flatheadluke said:

You can't beat Terrigal haven. The best, safest spot to fish is the boat ramp, safe as  houses and plenty on offer. Just pick a day where boat traffic is minimal. Or you can fish the haven ledge at low tide.

where abouts is the haven ledge

Guest Guest123456789
7 hours ago, Regan said:

where abouts is the haven ledge

NNE of Terrigal marine rescue