Where are the squids in Botany bay

sleepydragon

Hi Raiders,

After I have read a few reports around and info how to chase squid. Went our yesterday to Botany bay tried a few popular spots with variable jigs only get one from 6am to 10am. Not sure what have done wrong ??? Any help appreciated 

Cheers

45 minutes ago, Reel' em in said:

Hi mate 

what spots did you try and what size & colour jigs did you use.

I tried the wee bed in front of Kernel boat ramp then move to another one close to oil wharf then move to Bare Insland then move to the golf course. Jig were Black magic and Yamashita natural blue, Red/orange, white and black. size from 2.4/3.0/3.5

Keep at it I have some favourite spots in sydney harbour but some days there are just no squid other days can get half a dozen in as many casts. Last outing got one by fluke fishing for flathead with a soft vibe in a place they were not suppose to be.

20 hours ago, sleepydragon said:

Hi Raiders,

After I have read a few reports around and info how to chase squid. Went our yesterday to Botany bay tried a few popular spots with variable jigs only get one from 6am to 10am. Not sure what have done wrong ??? Any help appreciated 

Cheers

Have a read of the Article about this in our Articles section

You can also do a search using our search function for lots of info

Good Luck

17 hours ago, sleepydragon said:

I tried the wee bed in front of Kernel boat ramp then move to another one close to oil wharf then move to Bare Insland then move to the golf course. Jig were Black magic and Yamashita natural blue, Red/orange, white and black. size from 2.4/3.0/3.5

it sounds like your in the right area, with your jig size i usually use size 2.5 natural colours or glow jigs and the only other thing i can suggest is to make sure your jig always hit the bottom when your jigging back to the boat with a couple of long pauses in between.

1 hour ago, Reel' em in said:

it sounds like your in the right area, with your jig size i usually use size 2.5 natural colours or glow jigs and the only other thing i can suggest is to make sure your jig always hit the bottom when your jigging back to the boat with a couple of long pauses in between.

Thanks for your advice. Look likes i have to downside to 2.5. I can not leave long pauses because too much wee there. Lost a few jigs before but maybe thats why i did not get any ....catch 22 here.

I usually use 3.0's or 3.5 jigs. I change the colours around when one doesnt work after a period of time.

Around bare Island you dont want to let it sink too far down as most of the places around there is snaggy. Ive lost many jigs there.

Also change your jigging technique to a different pattern. Sometimes the same jig might work better running a different pattern.