first time port kembla

robertye112

Hi Guys,

I fish in botany bay with my wife in my surtees 5.5m boat, I've got another couple joining us this week end and I'm thinking of going to port kembla as we never seem to catch anything other than the undersized snapper in botany bay. My wife and the other couple get sea sick pretty easily, would it be wise to hang around port kembla break walls? I've never been but from the looks of it, there is plenty of protection from the open waters and from the sounds of it, more fish than Sydney water systems. 

What would be the go for five islands as far as sheltered from chop and swell? 

Cheers,

-Rob

Not much shelter from Swell around the islands unless you are close to them. Lots of Squid close to the islands, you have to move around to find them. 

There are lots of different species in Port. We have caught Jews, Flatheads, Squid, Kingfish, Tailor,  Kings and Sharks.  You can't anchor in Port so if there is any wind your Surtees is going to scoot along pretty quick. If you have not fished there much and don't know the spots and best methods you may end up having a very very slow day. 

Have never had any luck against the inside of the break wall. But on the outside I have worked the washes against the breakwall for Salmon, Kingfish, Tailor etc. But no good if the wind is blowing you towards the wall. Port is best fished in an Estuary type boat. 

Which day are you going? I don't know Port Kembla but if are going on Saturday and you guys get crook i would probably stick to the Port Hacking tomorrow with the predicted southerly winds and swell.

If Sunday then you could try down there. But if you head outside and someone gets crook and you want to come inside to fish then there are more options heading in and out of the Hacking. You could head out of the Port Hacking and head south around Jibbon or as far as you feel like and come home with the chop behind you if you pull the pin. It will be lumpier around the bommie and the cliffs than further out.

Another option would be to head straight out from the Port Hacking until you get to 30m depth and look for a current line. Drift for flathead with paternoster rigs. If you dont get bites within 5-10 minutes or you are only getting undersize flathead then drive out to 40m depth and try there. This can be repeated as far out as you like but it gets a bit more work winding up once you hit 60m depth. You will find that the flathead are hanging in schools of similar sized fish.

Botany becomes rather tricky to fish during colder months but u can still have some good success if u pick the right conditions/tides etc

i find that a good burley trail activates the fish and draws them in. U will be in for a good chance for bream, trevally and you could also throw out a whole pillie of flesh fillet for salmon

Edited by GoingFishing

You can also try shellharbour. IMO a better ramp than Port Kembla and only about 3ks from Bass Point. Also plenty of options with Windang Island to the north and Minnamurra further south. You can hang around the gravel loader just north of Bass Point and will be very protected and usually flat. Also plenty of squid and yakkas just off Cowie literally a minute from the ramp.

Thank you for all the input guys. The value of this forum is huge, I really appreciate it. Haynze I think I'll take your advice and hit shellharbour for the better ramp and protection at the gravel loader if the crew gets sick.