Winter Beach Fishing clothing

macca02

Hi all,

Just after some ideas what everyone wears night time beach fishing to stay warm & dry.

Where i fish is a bit of a walk in, so i generally just wear trackpants and a rain jacket, though always end up with sopping wet track pants from the waves.
Tossing up between getting a pair of waders (which i can take down and put on when i'm fishing/take off for the walk back) or some wet suit pants.

What does everyone use/find works for them?

I used to use trackies beach fishing and when they got wet, I found it was a great way to have a cold and miserable night. I bought a pair of neoprene waders and they keep me very warm - definitely a good spend. A word of warning, if you are walking long distances on the beach carrying lots of stuff I find I actually get TOO hot in them and start sweating. The insides are a bit difficult to clean and mine have started to smell a bit inside from the sweat (a lovely thought, I know) so I might need to clean them with some detergent. Re. your idea to carry them down the beach - waders aren't light due to the gumboots and are cumbersome. I'd be concerned they'd be a pain to carry down with the rest of your beach gear. I normally just put mine on out of the car.

Wet suit pants are a good idea too but may have cold feet? 

Cheers for the advice. I'm starting to lean more towards the wetsuit pants idea now - I already take some neoprene booties with me to wear when I'm on the beach.

I was looking at waders but there's a few things that I'm not entirely sure on for this scenario (safety if in the unlikely event I get bowled over), extra weight to carry in and comfortability as far as the boots go.

I wear these with a pair of wetsuit boots over the top.

https://kokatat.com/product/hydrus-3l-tempest-pants-with-socks-ptuhtp

I initially bought them for winter kayak trips. They're a bit lighter than waders, so a lot better for walking any distance, plus they seal around your waist and won't fill with water if you get bowled over in the surf. 

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've purchased some of these to try out as they're quite cheap: http://adrenalinwetsuits.com/2P-Thermo-Shield/43-2P-Thermo-Long-Pants/flypage_images.tpl.html

They look to be similar to wet suit pants - though haven't actual seen them in person so will have to wait and see.

Green Hornet: They look great - i might look into something like that if i'm not a fan of the wetsuit/neoprene style pants.

I just wear lightweight long pants that are like a quick dry material, wetsuit boots and keep my top half warm and dry. 

But if you do go for waders I would suggest as a minimum you wear a manual inflatable pfd to pull the second you get knocked over and if at night it wouldn't hurt to have a glow stick around your neck so your mate can find you in the shore break. Not many people would be able to swim in a shorebreak in waders full of water. 

I absolutely hate being wet and cold. I use thermals top and bottom, a good fleecy jumper, trackpants, and either a coat or rain jacket (worn outside the waders), depending on how cold it is, or if it is a lot of dew or spray. Fingerless gloves and a good Thinsulate beanie are also good in the cold. I use waders which have an adjustable strap at the upper chest region to prevent large volumes of water entering the waders should I fall over. I haven’t used an inflatable pfd as Captain Spanner suggests, but it is a good idea.

I just spend the past 3 nights fishing the beach 6pm-3am, this is what i usually wear, comfy longsleeve shirt, windproof jacket, windproof track pants, long socks to put over my trackies and some gumboots that are almost knee high that i purchased for $20 recently, keep my dry, clean and warm.