Maroubra 8/7/17

Oscarthebeagle

Fished Saturday morning with my dad (hookerbruce) from my boat. Launched at first light from Sylvania waters, plan was to catch some lives and head out to the peak.

First part of the plan worked well with live bait caught at the artificial reef. Started heading for the Peak but after a few kms with the westerly wind blowing and the sloppy conditions we decided today was not the day for it, Yes we could have made it out and back but it would of been a bumpy trip and hard fishing once out there.

Turned around and headed back in to the shelter of the cliffs. Drifted the reef edge and back over the sand. Caught a few good flathead 45-50cm, a few six spin jackets 38-40cm and assorted wrasse and other throw backs and a heap of undersize red bream and flathead. Also took home a baracouta as my boys love fish and with its vicious teeth it would be interesting to them.

Picked up a half eaten cuttlefish on the way home which will give me a few trips worth of bait and an interesting back bone to show the kids. The run home across the bay was glassy smooth and i even managed to get home 10 minutes early. 

Not the original plan for the day but still fun and managed to come home with a feed of fish.

Thanks for reading 

Ash

Hey Ash, we fished Maroubra on Saturday as well. Got a couple of  40cm+ Flathead as well then went whale watching for a while a couple of miles off Botany heads. Kids had a blast. Were you the boat in close to the Northern heads of Maroubra?

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:37 AM, gwoods said:

Hey Ash, we fished Maroubra on Saturday as well. Got a couple of  40cm+ Flathead as well then went whale watching for a while a couple of miles off Botany heads. Kids had a blast. Were you the boat in close to the Northern heads of Maroubra?

We were fishing of the rifle range, south of Maroubra. fishing out of a white 5m aluminium cuddy cabin (No bimini). Only boat near us looked like a 6m white fibreglass boat maybe a Trophy centre cabin. I took my kids out whale watching on Queens birthday Monday out from port hacking and south. We had a pod of dolphins playing in the boats wake and saw a dozen or so whales in about 2 hours, 4 jumping and playing, the kids loved it.

Ash I got my North and South the wrong way around, we were fishing the middle in a 6.05 Grey Bar Crusher, the kids really enjoy the whales and the dolphins don't they. Have fun.

Thanks Sean.