Balmoral beach wharf

SickWolf

Hi guys.

When I was out at roseville, I bumped into a kid who said he caught australian salmon using live yellowtail off balmoral wharf. He didn't specify exactly how he just told me that. I was wondering if anybody could tell me how to collect yellowtail there and how to use them to catch the aus salmon. Pluswhat kind of rod should I use. I have a 7 foot 2-4 kilo combo which can cast further than a 12 foot surf rod I picked up.

Cheers guys,

Wolfie

Edited by SickWolf

Hi Wolfie, funny name I know a golfer same name anyway yellowtail are readily available at the wharf, hand line or rod with longshank no 6 hook or smaller and small splitshot or no weight berly with what ever you will use for bait and fish the berly. I have seen people fish livies off that wharf under bobby corks and have heard reports of John Dory and Kingfish but have not witnessed it. Also get blackfish, bream, tailor and trevs there. The combo should do the job the hard part will be to be there when the fish are.

In terms of time - dawn and dusk are best. I find salmon can be caught at any time of day - if the school happens to be passing by.  Salmon aren't fussy - so you could easily catch them on pillies.  I use a smaller light rod to catch the live bait right by the wharf and a slightly heavier set up for the live bait.  Essentially I fill my time by catching live bait, whilst I wait for the big hit.  Just keep an eye out for the swimming birds - you don't want them taking your live bait by mistake.    

As others have said there is plenty of action to be had fishing livies at the wharf there. I've caught salmon, kingfish, big flatties and sharks and rays fishing yellowtail there. I've even seen jew and JD caught there on live yakka baits.

Especially when it starts to warm up, you will find there is a ready supply of yakkas there. During the early spring and summer there will be plenty of perfect bait-sized yellowtail less than 5 inches. Sometimes it is just a matter of getting your bait past all the sweep and stripeys.

Hook your yellowtail in the back and throw it out under a float or attached to a sinker. As far as your rod goes, I think you will need to up it to something a bit heavier in order to get the right casting capability. That said, I have caught salmon there on my 2-5kg rod on little prawn and chicken baits before, so you can definitely still catch them with a lighter rod. If you do want to fish livies though you should use a heavier setup.

Remember some days every livey you throw out will get hit; other days you won't get a touch all day. Just persist and you will find success! The most consistent species I've caught

PM me if you want any more details. I should just about have a PhD in fishing livies off Balmoral wharf I've spent so much time there... :)

• Like 1