Another Botany Report

kevvie

After a few weeks hiatus from the Bay it was time see if our form was still razor sharp on the sp front. I took my old man and a mate out for the journey. We were fishing against my uncle and two cousins, the sledging going back the whole week about who was gonna be champion boat... i had to win otherwise i would never hear the end of it. I introduced these boys to sp's and they had taken to it like ducks to water. Isn't it always the case but... student outdoes teacher.. old cliche but a true one.

Things started evenly both boats going fish for fish in quite regular intervals. The flatties were on the job so to the pikes (bloody pikers) and the odd bream. The scoring system was Flatties 1 point, any other species 2 points, bream 3 points and jew 5 points. At this stage it was hard to tell who was winning the comp. The other boat caught and released a flat of around 70+cms which was photoed and thrown back.

It wasn't long till our team started to take the accendency... my old amn hooked up to what could have only been a jew... sure enough it was and at 3kg by no means a monster but a gr8 catch non the less. The fish were consistent till about 930 and then tried a few other locations for limited results.. 3 keepers.

Headed back to our original spot but the wind had come up and was creating havoc. Just b4 we left my mate hooked uo to what we believe was jew. His substandard gear was found out and the fish happily sanpped his line winning freedom...spewin. Goes to show being a tight arse with fishing gear lets you down in the end.

All in all we won the day and caught 17 keeper flatties, threw back an additonal 15 smallies, 6 pike (which my old man took to work for some asian mates and told em they were whiting), 1 trev, 1 pinkie and 1 jew.

The other boat got 10 flats, threw back just as many smallies and two breeders, 7 pikers and 1 bream

I was good to get an asorted bag and got the sp bug out b4 the h'bury classic next week... i hope i can repeat the dose then as well :thumbup:

Pictures will follow 2morrow

kevvie, every report of yours i read just makes me more depressed :( with my measly returns each trip to the bay. sheesh im happy as if i get 3 keepers let alone 20+. you looking for any students :biggrin2:

keep it up though, its good to know there are plenty of fish in the bay. :thumbup:

chris.

kevvie, every report of yours i read just makes me more depressed :( with my measly returns each trip to the bay. sheesh im happy as if i get 3 keepers let alone 20+. you looking for any students :biggrin2:

keep it up though, its good to know there are plenty of fish in the bay. :thumbup:

chris.

I'm always keen to help out. PM me if you want a nudge in the right direction

Hi Kevvie,

Thanks for a great report. You guys brained it - well done!!!!

I'm heading out in the tinnie tomorrow with plans to fish the "CC bridge" area thanks to a day off work to fish some "likely areas" for a jew :biggrin2:

My mate Geoff and I did fairly well there recently but without any luck on the Jews so I'm trying again!!

I hope the fish are still around and all "down stream" after the rain!! :biggrin2:

Again, well done.

Cheers

David.

Edited by mottyman

Hi Kevvie,

Thanks for a great report. You guys brained it - well done!!!!

I'm heading out in the tinnie tomorrow with plans to fish the "CC bridge" area thanks to a day off work to fish some "likely areas" for a jew :biggrin2:

My mate Geoff and I did fairly well there recently but without any luck on the Jews so I'm trying again!!

I hope the fish are still around and all "down stream" after the rain!! :biggrin2:

Again, well done.

Cheers

David.

You should brain em there... but the jews are a bit hit and miss though... good news is all this rain will stir things up. Let us know how you go :thumbup:

Great Work Kevvie.

I'm still trying to find my feat with SP's. Can you tell me on average what your casts to fish ratio is? I wondering if I am bringing mine in too fast and need to work them more on the bottom. Maybe I will go home and watch squidgy secrets again....

Kane

Great Work Kevvie.

I'm still trying to find my feat with SP's. Can you tell me on average what your casts to fish ratio is? I wondering if I am bringing mine in too fast and need to work them more on the bottom. Maybe I will go home and watch squidgy secrets again....

Kane

Mate working them slow is the real trick. Big jigs with the rod is not necessary. I see people jiggin way too aggressively with plastics. Slow down, small twitches with the rod tip, moving the lure about 20 or 30cms is all that is needed. Wait 5secs between twitches letting the lure rest on the bottom. Bream regularly pick up an sp off the bottom while it is sitting still.

I prefer to jig the rod to the side, not up and down, also allowing the sp to stay closer to the bottom at all times.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

Hi, i'm new to fishing and was wondering whether there are any good land spots to fish from at botany and whether the fish is clean enough to eat :wacko:

cheers

gday mate :1welcomeani:

botany bay of course there clean enuf to eat.. :074::074:

from the fish ive caught in there mate im still alive and kicking so i dont think u hav nething to worry about..

water is generally crystal clear and plenty of movent so dont listen to wat pplz hav to say bout botany..

as 2 land based fishing, plenty of spots mate..

try brighton beach and dolls point for flatties and sand whiting bream ect ect

umm under neath tom uglys bridge is popular

also try underneath the cptn cook bridge theres a jetty there u can fish off.. maybe as a beginner those spots might be worth a throw of a line.

stay tuned mate im sure the fellow raiders will give u plenty more spots..

looking forward 2 hearing ur successes

cheers steve

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

gday mate :1welcomeani:

botany bay of course there clean enuf to eat.. :074::074:

from the fish ive caught in there mate im still alive and kicking so i dont think u hav nething to worry about..

water is generally crystal clear and plenty of movent so dont listen to wat pplz hav to say bout botany..

as 2 land based fishing, plenty of spots mate..

try brighton beach and dolls point for flatties and sand whiting bream ect ect

umm under neath tom uglys bridge is popular

also try underneath the cptn cook bridge theres a jetty there u can fish off.. maybe as a beginner those spots might be worth a throw of a line.

stay tuned mate im sure the fellow raiders will give u plenty more spots..

looking forward 2 hearing ur successes

cheers steve

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Geez your a good samaritan :074::074:

Hi Kevvie,

I went out yesterday as mentioned and it was a quite dissapointing. I fished some good looking holes that had fish on the sounder in them that looked like bait schools but turned out to be chopper tailor. Couldn't see anthing bigger working on the sounder...

I fished the run in tide and only managed choppers, small bream, one flattie and a lonely grinner.

There were two other guys fishing around me and they weren't doing very well either. One guy in an orange polly I saw put one fish in the live well in about 3 1/2 hours and another in a quinny who I had a chat to, didn't turn a scale.

I'm not sure what happened but I didn't boat a decent fish all day.

Still, it was better than working and I'm ever the optimist so I'll get 'em next time.

Cheers

David.

Hi Kevvie,

I went out yesterday as mentioned and it was a quite dissapointing. I fished some good looking holes that had fish on the sounder in them that looked like bait schools but turned out to be chopper tailor. Couldn't see anthing bigger working on the sounder...

I fished the run in tide and only managed choppers, small bream, one flattie and a lonely grinner.

There were two other guys fishing around me and they weren't doing very well either. One guy in an orange polly I saw put one fish in the live well in about 3 1/2 hours and another in a quinny who I had a chat to, didn't turn a scale.

I'm not sure what happened but I didn't boat a decent fish all day.

Still, it was better than working and I'm ever the optimist so I'll get 'em next time.

Cheers

David.

Thanks for getting back to me Mottyman... sorry to hear about your disappointing day. I will be at the h'bury classic this weekend so i hope by the following weekend there back on... Bring on the rain i say