Light plastics

nutsaboutfishing

So recently started seriously chasing bream with soft plastics. Went to    Canada bay Friday 

Started flicking 1/16 jighead. Am still used to feeling for the flathead hit but have come to realise you almost never feel a bream take, and am sometimes hooked up before I realise it. Have read on FR to look for a twitch in the line then strike but with the wind bow in the line this was next to impossible. 

Moved position a couple of times to keep the wind behind me and was fishing very slowly, dead sticking about 5-10 seconds  between hops. Persistence paid off with nice flathead. Soon had to leave to pick up kids so one last cast.  Didn't feel the take just saw my line tighten and I'm on. Got a bit nervous when the fish headed for the rock wall, extended my rod over the water and finally bought it in. Jighead had been completely engulfed. 

The good old "one last cast"

IMG_0145.JPG

Just now, nutsaboutfishing said:

So recently started seriously chasing bream with soft plastics. Went to    Canada bay Friday 

Started flicking 1/16 jighead. Am still used to feeling for the flathead hit but have come to realise you almost never feel a bream take, and am sometimes hooked up before I realise it. Have read on FR to look for a twitch in the line then strike but with the wind bow in the line this was next to impossible. 

Moved position a couple of times to keep the wind behind me and was fishing very slowly, dead sticking about 5-10 seconds  between hops. Persistence paid off with nice flathead. Soon had to leave to pick up kids so one last cast.  Didn't feel the take just saw my line tighten and I'm on. Got a bit nervous when the fish headed for the rock wall, extended my rod over the water and finally bought it in. Jighead had been completely engulfed. 

The good old "one last cast"

IMG_0145.JPG

And one more pic

IMG_0144.JPG

Awesome mate, one of the harder species to master on plastics.

That issue you are having with the wind and seeing the bites will come with practise but maybe try an incredibly slow wind with the techniques you are already using if it's blowing at your face, the idea being you are only winding in tiny bits of slack line at a time so you can see bites more easily but not so fast that you affect the action of the lure on the sink. I do this when I keep getting bites but miss the hook ups and it always helps land a few of them ?

4 hours ago, Adsy91 said:

Awesome mate, one of the harder species to master on plastics.

That issue you are having with the wind and seeing the bites will come with practise but maybe try an incredibly slow wind with the techniques you are already using if it's blowing at your face, the idea being you are only winding in tiny bits of slack line at a time so you can see bites more easily but not so fast that you affect the action of the lure on the sink. I do this when I keep getting bites but miss the hook ups and it always helps land a few of them ?

thanks for the advice Adsy, it's one the things I love most about the forum