Weed, Weed, Fish, Weed…. Sat 29th

KaneMc

I haven’t done much fishing around Sydney but am out exploring a few spots so I will post what I find.

I organised for fish with a couple of mates on Saturday night which looked quite promising as the tide peaked at 5:45pm. We had decided to try off Narabeen beach as it looked a likely spot so we headed up there around 3pm and stopped of at the bait and tackle shop for some pillies and squid. After a bit of discussion the guys in the shop convinced us we would be better of trying the corner of Dee Why and Long Reef as we were mainly after Bream and Salmon so off we headed. A bit of a hike down the beach and we set up camp. Stared off with ganged pillies until all three of us had been snagged a couple of times on the rough. A few bites here and there but so much weed around it was just dragging our baits in to the shore. :ranting2: I pulled up some sort of greenish Moray (I wish these were tasty as I can catch them with my eyes closed) and then switched to a single hook as I always re-rig after these fellas. We all continued to pull in a tonne of weed and finally my mate landed a 30cm bream on dark. I also pulled one of them pesky brown fish with a gob bigger then the rest of its body and that’s about all she wrote. We soaked our baits until about 7:30pm with not even a nibble for the last half hour. Then packed up and headed for home.

Not much success, I guess we have a lot to learn about beach fishing. Seems so easy when you read about it. (All my previous fishing has been done from boats in New Zealand). “Just find a gutter and cast into, then wait and the fish will come”. No one said anything about weed and troublesome gang hooks. Does anyone else have trouble not squishing your pillie when trying to put three hooks into them? Thank god for Bait Mate (or whatever you call the elastic stuff you wrap around your bait to keep it on over here).

Still had fun trying, a bad day fishing still beats most other things on a good day. The joggers you get on the Sydney beaches also make passing the time between bites a lot more enjoyable too.:biggrin2: