Offshore fishing rigs

Psycho fisho

Hi guys 

As I have little experience in deep sea fishing and am slowly gearing up just wondering what rigs and weight sizes ect  the more experienced deep sea guys use. I was thinking of just using braid to the fg knot then 1-2 meter of mono leader then have a ball sinker straight down to the hook will that work? Do l need a swivel?

So I can start making some rigs ready for the day out.

Cheers

Running sinkers at more for shallow water when fishing a burly trail to assist the bait sinking. If you are just going to bottom bash then a paternoster or dropper rig with the sinker on the bottom is better & will present the bait off the bottom. How deep are you fishing & what for ? 

14 minutes ago, Towlersbay boy said:

Running sinkers at more for shallow water when fishing a burly trail to assist the bait sinking. If you are just going to bottom bash then a paternoster or dropper rig with the sinker on the bottom is better & will present the bait off the bottom. How deep are you fishing & what for ? 

Mainly pinkies dhu fish mulloway yellow tail kingfish etc and probably 5-40 metres

Hey Mate 

Fished a fair bit of the north of WA & jigs kill it if you are looking for another option. Not sure how the current is down where you are but if its over 2 knots in deeper water you are gonna need some lead. A rig I like to use for snapper is a 2 hook snelled rig with a whole pilly & a ball sinker that can be cast down current & allowed to sink slowly & if the kings turn up you can put a strip of squid on and let it flap in the current. 

Hope this helps. 

12 minutes ago, Towlersbay boy said:

Hey Mate 

Fished a fair bit of the north of WA & jigs kill it if you are looking for another option. Not sure how the current is down where you are but if its over 2 knots in deeper water you are gonna need some lead. A rig I like to use for snapper is a 2 hook snelled rig with a whole pilly & a ball sinker that can be cast down current & allowed to sink slowly & if the kings turn up you can put a strip of squid on and let it flap in the current. 

Hope this helps. 

Thanks for your help this may be a silly question but does the ball sinker slide up the main line and do you use a swivel?

45 minutes ago, Towlersbay boy said:

Only if you cast out very flat & leave your line slack. normally the angle of the rod being higher than the water would stop this. If you are using a large ball sinker than the sliding rig is not the go, use a dropper rig. 

Ok thanks for your help