Suction Cups For Sounders

phild

Hi guys I have a new sounder but having an open decked boat with street storage I want to keep it removable and therefore Im looking for a suction cup mount for the transducer any ideas were I could get one? Thanks for any help

p.s around Lane cove would be perfect

Gidday Phild,

I used to have a suction cup on my old eagle sounder.I had to cobble it out of bits that I was able to scab/beg/borrow from mates and suppliers.

I can say now that it is not a good idea and if I was to do it again -I wouldnt. I had some problems with maintaining suction on the aluminium over time and it would also flex back to far in high currents and give out false readings.

Go to Bias ,pick up a stainless steel sliding transducer bracket , you might have to make an adjustment to make the sliding removable but I think that you will end up with something that will not let you down .

I have one on my tinny and it works a treat for beach launching as you just have to uno the thumb screw and pull it up out of harms way,simple

Simon

BIAS is at the corner of longueville rd and pacific highway,lane cove 9428 3222

Thats cool guys but I am really reluctunt to screw anything into my transom after the last incident I had with my old boats transom giving way through rot. I beleive that it doesnt matter how good a job you do water will still find a way into the screw holes and eventuely rot out the transom. Is there a way to mount the transducer without drilling into the transom? I have tried liquid nails glued to the transom and then to a bit of nylon cutting board without sucsess, by the way the boat is fiberglass. Thanks for all the advice so far

Cheers Phil

Probably which is why its best to screw it into the transom. As long as its done properly then it shouldn't pose any problems to the transom.

Yeeeahhh????? Not convinced but thanks for the help Bash.

I competitively sailed racing dingies for many years and the boats were of foam sandwich construction and timber. We used to rig them up and drill holes everywhere (even under the water line). As long as you do it properly you will have no probs. Ask a boat builder or experienced guys at any retail boating outlet and they'll give you the info you need.

Do it properly and you won't have any problems. Suction cups and other glues etc sound like a bad idea to me. You had bad experiences before, but that doesn't mean it isn't the best solution! People have been mounting transducers through the hull and transom for decades and wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't the best solution.

Hi Phil

I know you preferred to remove the transducer, but how about mounting it as a shoot through hull set up in an inconspicuous place. It could then be a permanent fixture as trying to remove it would damage the transducer, rendering it useless to any thief.

Saves fitting and removing every trip too :wacko:

Cheers Bill

Hi Phil

I know you preferred to remove the transducer, but how about mounting it as a shoot through hull set up in an inconspicuous place. It could then be a permanent fixture as trying to remove it would damage the transducer, rendering it useless to any thief.

Saves fitting and removing every trip too :wacko:

Cheers Bill

Yeah I though of doing that bill and the idea appeals but do I need a through hull transducer or can my transom mount be used in the same way as a through hull and how complicated is it to do?

Thanks again for any help guys