Braided Line - PowerPro Vs. Spider Stealth

CJay

Hey Raiders!

So its come time to respool the Penn 950 Spinfisher and im faced with the choice of these two widely used braided lines, 

Ive fished with PowerPro 50lb braid for  while now and find that it casts like a dream (seems pretty round) , nice texture due to the teflon coating but I find that it seems to discolour quite fast and seems to break down (tiny fibres start to split off) within a few offshore trips. 

Each of these lines are gel-spun polyethylene, but PowerPro is made of "Spectra" fibers and the Spiderwire Stealth is "Micro Dyneema" , Ive heard the SpiderLine is meant to be the tightest spun line there is but ive never used it so i cant say :huh:

Any reviews/recommendations  would be a great! Tight Lines!

i have been told that the spiderline is not good but like I said I was told weather the people that told have used it or not I am not sure, I have used sunline always been a fan of it cant fault it 100% best line I have used but I was at a shop the other week and a guy that worked there suggested J line highly recommend it so I bought some still have not put it on my reel tho.

I fished the camo blue spiderwire in 20lb for a while and wasn't a huge fan, faded quick and frayed easily. Tried the ultra cast in 30lb and was fantastic, cast well and super fine.  So perhaps its there upper range lines that are more reliable, but i've heard good reviews all round and for the price its a solid option. 

However I pretty much just fish sunline PE the stuff suits me well, particularly the upper classer (20lb+). 

Yeah thats funny you say that i read somewhere in a forum that one fisho bought the older versions of the spiderline and they were not even a touch as good as the latest batch :/ 

Just reverse the spool- no need to replace until its really worn out!, the colour fade is no biggie, ive got power pro thats 5-6 years old and gets hammered and its still fine- also had Fireline on a small Stradic 2500 thats over 8 years off age - reversed - and im only just thinking of replacing it - but that spool of line has caught dozens of boonies/salmon/dollies/rats etc, reeel mainly gets used for bait jigging these days so until I actually feel that the line is failing im not going to change it- remember that unlike Nylon, PE based lines are not rapidly degraded by UV light

All thermoplastics degrade in the sun, polythelyne (PE) included. Unless you have carbon black added they will all degrade over time. Dont think the amount of time the average fisho's line spends in the sun would be much of a factor though... might be different for commercial/long liners etc. but a few hrs a week of exposure shoudnt do too much harm.