Battery

JonD

First cold morning and my battery has failed. Locally I've always bought Sea Master 12volt battery's over the years but I've now bought enough of them to find they have each given up between 2-3 years. That's not a problem as they are a relatively low cost battery and I always know I'm up for a new one around that time period. However supercheap have around 40% off some of the century marine batteries which put them in the same price bracket as the sea master. Aussie battery's also do a battery called Giant which they claim to be much better than other batteries which is gel filled but also much higher in price.

My boat gets used pretty often, mostly on longish trips which normally keeps the battery fully charged without ever having to charge at home. Just after any opinions on makes to use especially as I now use just one single instead of dual setup ( I do carry a jump kit ).

I just replaced my sea master crank battery and the youngest it could have been was 10 years old because 2008 was the highest year on the box ticking options for the date of installation. I have dual batteries (1 crank and 1 deep cycle that is strong enough to start the motor. I was told by guys at the club years ago that even with a new battery, the battery will never fully charge just from driving, no matter how long or far. They said you have to top it up on the charger, i am not a good example but i periodically check the colour in the little round window on the top and give it a top up with the charger if in doubt or otherwise every 6 months or so. I did notice that the colour in the little green dot is better after charging than just driving to charge. The battery serviced a 1996 V4 90HP two stroke Evinrude until 2012 and then from 2012 it serviced a 2012 90HP 4 stroke Suzuki. I replaced the crank battery last week. I'm sure i could have charged it but it was old enough and i wanted to go fishing so i drove past the boat shop on the way to the ramp and bought a crank battery. In that lifetime it would have been used weekly for a couple of years (running all day) and then maybe monthly for several years and only half a dozen times in the last two years until it was retired. 

• Like 1

If that's the case I may install the ctek d250 dual charger which I took off my 4x4 before selling it. It's a 12 volt charging system that somehow boosts the charge from the alternator. 

2 minutes ago, JonD said:

If that's the case I may install the ctek d250 dual charger which I took off my 4x4 before selling it. It's a 12 volt charging system that somehow boosts the charge from the alternator. 

I don't know anything about that stuff sorry but it sounds right.