not sure what hooks to use for bream

fatalshocks

hey fellas fairly new to fishing im chasing bream on bait im looking for something easy to use as im not sure when to strike and stuff so is there any hooks and setups  that makes hooking bream easier then others as im the type to toss a line and kick back. in the odd case same goes with flatty if anyone has any recommendations

Welcome to Fishraider if you intend on only releasing your Bream use circle style hooks, if you are going to keep them then a good pattern/style is the "suicide" also commonly referred to as "octopus" pattern. If using pilchards for bait, or fishing off the ocean rocks, size 2/0, if estuary/river fishing, size 2 to 2/0 will catch any Bream and Flattie's. Type of bait usually helps determine hook size. When you get a bite, allow the fish to take 2 to 4 metres of line without pressure ie open the bail arm on a spinning reel. By moving off with the bait, in combination with water pressure, the fish works it into it's mouth, then towards the gullet. Experience will teach how much line to 'give' for less-deep hook-sets Many fish caught this way will therefore swallow the bait/hook, which is fine if you are going to take them home. If using circle hooks, follow same method and just apply pressure WITHOUT striking with the rod, the hook will generally pull back 'out' and lodge in the corner of fishes mouth

thanks mate what size circle hook would u recommend ill be taking some home and releasing a few so would it be better to just stick with circle as well? also ill be fishing with alot of different bait as im tryna learn good bait and stuff so prawns mullet pillchards squid anything really

You can use same sizing in circles. You can also use the suicides just be careful taking them out! Personally, I think suicide is best all around hook for sheer hooking power and any bait, although "baitholder" pattern with the bait-holder slices on the shank are great for worms and prawns. Mustad "Penetrator", "Suicide" and "Big Red" all good examples of the style. Baitholder (Mustad brand) model numbers 92647 or 92247 good examples of the style and best for worms and prawns.

47 minutes ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Overall, for somewhere like that, I'd be using a 1/0 suicide in a pattern like Mustad "Penetrator" and mullet or mullet gut for bait fished close in to the wall

sorry for asking so much silly stuff if you were gonna use circle hooks there what size?

5 hours ago, fatalshocks said:

sorry for asking so much silly stuff if you were gonna use circle hooks there what size?

Wazathefisherman’s post already answered that - 2 to 2/0, same as Suicides. I generally use 2/0 circles these days but adjust as necessary to suit the size of the bait. I find the tight curve on a circle hook a little fiddly to thread a prawn on, so sometimes I just hook them through the tail. However, I rarely buy prawns these days and mostly use self-caught bonito and slimy mackerel strips.

Edited by Berleyguts

Try chicken mixed with garlic for bream!

Circle hooks are the best for beginners because you don't have to strike (life the rod to set the hook). Just let the fish run a little bit and then turn the bail arm over and start reeling.

As per the above 2-2/0 will work. I would start with 1/0 size and see how they bite.