Beach fishing at night

Volitan

I’ve done very little beach fishing after dark.

The few times I’ve done it the pattern I’ve noticed (or maybe imagined) was that fish bite well in the twilight, stop biting  once it’s fully dark, then restart about one or two hours later. 

Is this a fact ? Is this a known thing ?

And a related question. Last night, on a Central Coast beach, I got one of those massive, unstoppable runs where the line pours out for 100 meters or so before I start to get worried about being spooled and tighten the drag - busted. No stopping or resting or even slowing down, but not particularly high speed either. 

The only things I can think it would be are big shark like bronze whaler, stingray or jewfish.

But no headshakes or rest stops or direction changes, just a solid pull so probably not a jewfish.

I think not a stingray due to not sitting on the bottom at any stage.

So I’m guessing bronze whaler or similar shark, but any other ideas what it could be ? Do bronzies go fast, or more measured, like they’re not particularly worried by what’s going on at all ?

Otherwise, one bream, one tailor, one trevally and the largest Port Jackson I’ve ever seen - which was better then I expected for winter.

cheers

V.

52 minutes ago, Brew said:

I would say stingray also. The big ones take off. Happened to me also in the past. 

I guess it being a stingray would explain the slow travel.

Any comments on the first question - anyone

Im guessing a sting ray as well, A shark would've had a few headshakes at least.

Ive noticed a similar thing as well, at sunset i would get a few bites then a couple hours later the bites would start again.

Not too sure why but its happened a few times 

Would have been a big stingray for certain. They slowly but steadily peel your line as they cruise just off the bottom. Plus they are more likely to nab a pillie or smaller dead bait sitting still on the bottom.

Sharks will give u head shakes,  direction changes and numerous speedy runs. And there will be a few intervals where you can gather some line (the smaller ones anyway). The big noahs will smoke the line right off your reel unless you have some heavy gear to wrestle them with. I haven't had a shark go for a pillie before but I get them taking a nice fresh strip bait left out for a jewie.

Maybe that's why I donut on jewies haha.