PNG fishing

Drought Breaker

Gday raiders. heading to PNG for 6 months work up near Wau in the high country. Just wondering if anyone could give some advise on fishing up there, guides, charters, fishing of the banks or jetties etc?. Hopefully somewhere close to our location. Would love to chase black bass and also some blue water fishing. Cheers

On 11/6/2018 at 1:19 PM, browncrab said:

I grew up in png. Check out madang. The resorts there usually have fishing guides varying from panga style boats to luxury flybridge game boats.

Thanks mate. We will be at hidden valley near Wau. Is there any good fishing up there? Is Lae good fishing?  Cheers 

Hi,

Spent 2 years teaching on a small island off the coast of PNG as a volunteer in 1985 and 86. An incredible place where every day is an adventure. I didn't fish that much as zoom (outboard motor fuel) was expensive to get to the island and used sparingly. There was a jetty with fish around but also lots of sea snakes living in the crevices of the rocks used to make it.

Try to learn as much tok pisin as you can...it's a hoot of a language that will have you laughing all the time.

Enjoy your trip and be safe with your personal security and your health: there are lots of nasty diseases: my wife and I both came down with malaria). Small cuts and scratches will become infected at the speed of light so clean and dress these immediately. STIs, are very prevalent including HIV and TB is also common. Be advised that anti-malarials are often teratogenic so if travelling with a spouse, do not attempt to fall pregnant until 3 months after ceasing anti malaria drugs which you must continue taking for some time upon your return to Australia.

The people are lovely but, as you know, with the poverty that exists, there are significant law and order issues. we were robbed in Port Moresby and driving back to Yule Island from Moresby, had a shotgun held to my head through the window of the Toyota 4WD at Brown River before allowed on to our destination. 

You will have a wonderful time and meet some amazing people: we met Mother Theresa, the famous classical composer David Fanshawe and the PM of PNG, a couple of Aussie guys kayaking around the coast and some old French nuns and priests who had stories that would curl your hair. Amazing.

The country is just so beautiful and the coffee is excellent.

Enjoy the experience!

KB

Edited by Koalaboi
  • Like 1