Qns on squid and using soft plastics for kings

Poly2096

Quick question for those out there. 

1) when trying to catch squid in Pittwater am I best to choose an area and try multiple different squid jigs. Or have a couple of squid jigs and try multiple different areas? Any tips for areas in Pittwater that are worth a shot. And any rules for colours/size of jig for Pittwater? 

2) when casting soft plastics (I’m using the white/pearl 6” plastic) for kings do I retrieve as quick as possible? Or say wind 5 times then let it sink again? Or wind slowly and steadily back? I had a few rats follow it in on the weekend but couldn’t convince them to eat it!

thnaks 

Hi Poly,

Search my past posts for a topic called kings in the moorings. It should give you a few things to think about when chasing kings. Short answer is short sharp eratic darting motion followed by brief pauses to give them a chance to hit the lure (about 80% hits on the pause). If you feel the bump and it doesn't hook up then rip it back as fast as you can to set off their chase impulse. I rarely see them eat a plastic or lure that is left in front of them.

On the squidding topic read some of the pinned squidding posts or look for some of my posts on squidding. Short answer is that squid move around. Try a couple of different jigs, fan your casts out then try a new location. Look for a combination of sand and weed beds.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD