Four Or Two Stroke

adam

Hi raiders

I might have to buy a new outboard around the 150hp range

Should i go for a two or four stroke;Ive got some quotes and a

four stroke is only a couple of thousand more.Some advice would

be great. thanks

4 stroke for sure, especially in that hp range. No poisonous fumes, troll all day, use bugger all fuel.

You sould like a bloke with a big 2 stroke that pays some equally big fuel bills Bash!!!

I should like a bloke with a big 2 stroke that pays some equally big fuel bills?? You got me mate, what are you on about?

edit: just realised you meant to type 'sound' lol And yes I have a hefty fuel bill, hopefully I will be in a position to get myself a 4 banger in the near future.

Edited by Bashir

Some of the new 2 strokes are fantastic and economical on fuel. The Mercury range in their Optimax seems to get good reviews as do the new Evenrude range in the E-Tec. My thoughts are the 2 strokes have caught up to the four stroke motors and you can buy a lot of fuel with the price difference. I also understand that the latest 2 strokes also comply with the current emissions regulations and are pretty well smoke free, same as the 4 stroke.

martin you are talking about direct injection 2 strokes. Our 200hp merc is a 2001 model, it drinks as much as some of the members on here, is smoky and the plugs foul up after a few trips of trolling. A full day out wide will see me use 180l without too much effort. I know a bloke with the same rig as me with a 200 suzuki that did a whole day out at browns mountain for 90l - I reckon I could pay the fuel difference in a few seasons without too much effort if I'm saving $100 every trip (including 2 stroke oil). There are other reasons to buy a 4 stroke over a 2 stroke and if you plan on doing plenty of offshore fishing, then a 4 stroke is the best choice - you get better range, they use 45% less fuel, and you can just troll troll troll. 2 strokes suck, however I wouldn't complain if I had an optimax or etec, their fuel figures are very similar to a 4 stroke.

I had a 2stroke and now have a 4. Wished id had one sooner theres no comparison it became real clear on the weekend when we could quite happily idile round a bait ball we found yet as soon as some guy come up with his two stroke the fish sounded.

Seems like the jury's out on this one.

The lighter and more powerful 4 strokes seemed to recently gain the ascendancy but the 2 stroke has come back with these new generation models.

Interesting.

I think the jury will always be out on this one as both have a long list of pro's and con's and it comes down to personal preference.

As you know i have a ETEC and love it. That does not mean I wont get a nice Yamaha or Suzuki 4 stroke next time around.

What I wont get ever again is a carburetted old technology ( but new engine ) 2 stroke, which as Bashir says, are bloody awfull on the troll.

Edited by Grantm

Have a look at the Suziki DF 140, thats the one I am saving up for,

weighs the same as a Yammie 115 and two blokes I know who use them on commercial boats (north of Cairns) rave aboutthem

Also I think that site sponsor Yabbie Marine can cut you a good deal on them

Hi Adam,

Feel free to give me a call to discuss Suzuki four strokes (number is in my sig) - we like looking after Fishraiders! The DF140 is a sensational engine, as is the brand new DF150 big block. Depends on what you're putting it on as to what would suit you best. While four strokes are more expensive than traditional two strokes (the "new" DI two strokes are comparably priced to four strokes), fuel savings and resale value make them more economical in the long term (aside from the benefits of lack of smoke, noise, vibration etc.).

Cheers,

Ben.