Narrabeen

Went out to the lakes near the beach side bridge. Plenty of bait and activity. Couple of young kids filling a bucket full of undersize bream under the watchful eye of their dad :1badmood:

However all this bait near the entrnace, seems to me the fish know the lakes going to be opened soon. Hope there right. After 30 minutes finally landed a nice 30cm flatty.

What color flies to people use to target flatties in the lake. I was using a black clouser trying to imitate a bass minnow to know success. changed to a white and gold clouser to immediate success.

Cheers

G'day Yellow Sub

Don't you just hate watching a bloke teach his kids bad habits! :ranting2:

I don't know a great deal about the lake as I've only fished it once, at the fly social day, but I would suggest you try to get a peek at what the local baitfish look like. The reason why the white and gold clouser worked better may be because it more closely resembles the bait in the lake. Match the hatch, as they say.

Shane

:1fishing1:

Guest bluecod

Does anyone kno why they dont open the lake???

$$$$ Its a cost to Council to open it and that will only happen when there is a likelihood of damage to private property or Council's own infrastructure.

30cm flatty aint bad!

I fished it on sat avo for a big fat 0 so at least u did better than me.

Does anyone kno why they dont open the lake??? it seems to be pretty full and around the edges is getting very scummy.

Admittedly I have gone 3 or 4 sessions on those flats to no success. Persistance pays off. Let me know when your heading out next, i'm just around the corner.

Cheers

From what I've noticed thus far (but not at Narrabeen), flies with a couple of saddles (or feathers if you will) seem to catch their attention when it wiggles naturally in the water. A mate's been pretty successful on a half and half that had pink saddles.... I've also had some success with Grizzly Chartreuse and Light Blue saddles on bendbacks. Latest one was taken on an ultra shrimp.

post-1073-1132750189_thumb.jpg

post-1073-1132750206_thumb.jpg

Hope it helps.

30cm flatty aint bad!

I fished it on sat avo for a big fat 0 so at least u did better than me.

Does anyone kno why they dont open the lake??? it seems to be pretty full and around the edges is getting very scummy.

lake level needs to be at a certain level (at 1m gauge height i think) for it to be worthwhile opening the lake for 2 reasons:

1. no immediate threat to shoreline properties from flooding until approx 1m (edit: found a reference on council's website refering to a trigger water level of 1.3m AHD but this is from an old report and level may have changed since then)

2. higher water level = more water escaping when lake is opened = deeper entrance = longer time for entrance to be naturally blocked = longer time between opening events = less cost for council (+ better for lake and fishos)

edit - also found this in a report on council website: "The study found that maintenance dredging at 1 or 2 year intervals was the most economically suitable frequency and the most desirable from all criteria assessed. A maintenance strategy incorporating this frequency was recommended."

Edited by bung

Went out to the lakes near the beach side bridge. Plenty of bait and activity. Couple of young kids filling a bucket full of undersize bream under the watchful eye of their dad :1badmood:

However all this bait near the entrnace, seems to me the fish know the lakes going to be opened soon. Hope there right. After 30 minutes finally landed a nice 30cm flatty.

What color flies to people use to target flatties in the lake. I was using a black clouser trying to imitate a bass minnow to know success. changed to a white and gold clouser to immediate success.

Cheers

When i'm tossing feathers for flatties I remember this saying- "Chartruese can't lose".

It seems the most consistent colour for me and mates. Then as a last resort blues, pinks can sometimes work.

Cheers

FSHIIIN