Wollongong Area - Landbased Questions

Spool

Hi guys, 

1) Windang Breakwall - wondering if this place holds Kingfish, Mulloway and Squid? 

2) Windang Breakwall - If I wanted to fish more near the main ocean which would be the best place to fish? Can someone show me some pics? Also what would be good wind and swell for safety and comfort?

3) Is there any other small breakwalls around Wollongong to Port Kembla area where it is easy to access the water without those big concrete and rock boulders? 

4) Is there any estuary system to fish land-based around that area? Please suggest a few.

Thanks

1. Possibly, but not noted for any of those species, Jews have been caught there though.

2. The breakwall is on the south side, so that is the side to fish, unless the wind is strong, any wind will be OK, southerly will be at your back

3. Easy access usually means no fish, Windang is the only breakwater excluding Port Kembla and the new one at Shellcove, but no access there yet, there's a small one south of Windang at the entrance to Little Lake.

4. Lake Illawarra has hundreds of shore based spots, Minnamurra further South too.

True.

Can anyone else tell me or have experienced if Kingfish and Squid are at Windang Breakwall? 

I assume it does since it is facing the main ocean but could be wrong hmm

Read reply 1 above, the breakwall does not face the ocean, it forms the lake channel, there could be Squid there, in fact I am pretty sure there is, but, not enough to target them spefically, don't take my word for it, try it and see, never heard of a Kingfish being caught off the breakwall ever.

I should rephrase a bit from previous post, the very end of the breakwalll does kind of face the ocean, but mostly it forms the lake channel, the small one on the north side was almost covered by sand recently.

On 7/7/2019 at 1:11 PM, Spool said:

Hi guys, 

1) Windang Breakwall - wondering if this place holds Kingfish, Mulloway and Squid? 

2) Windang Breakwall - If I wanted to fish more near the main ocean which would be the best place to fish? Can someone show me some pics? Also what would be good wind and swell for safety and comfort?

3) Is there any other small breakwalls around Wollongong to Port Kembla area where it is easy to access the water without those big concrete and rock boulders? 

4) Is there any estuary system to fish land-based around that area? Please suggest a few.

Thanks

no kings there port breakwall or hill60 get kings landbase

2 hours ago, Tunastrike11 said:

no kings there port breakwall or hill60 get kings landbase

Why is that? I always wondered. The Breakwall leads to the main ocean Tasman Sea I think. I would of thought Kingfish would come from there to the Breakwall. 

And from Google Maps. Windang Breakwall is split into 2. I am talking about the breakwall which is nearest to the main ocean next to Windang Island. Is this breakwall accessible?

Edited by Spool

Yes, easily accessible, I think you might be looking at old maps, you can walk out to the Island and breakwater from the south side, there's a car park and lots of people, I guess you can't say there is no Kingfish there, but, I have lived here for a very long time and never heard of one being caught, you don't sound convinced, so, give it a try! As mentioned, Port Kembla is OK, but get crowded at times, the front of Windang is pretty tricky to fish, but they have been caught there, plenty of Squid too, but be careful.

Just found an aerial photo of the entrance, it's an old one I found on the 'net, as you can see, the breakwater forms the lake entrance, there has been quite a lot of sand movement since that photo, the area around the ends of the breakwall is kind of shallow and only sand, you can access any part of it, and there is car parking close by. It's a very popular spot for swimmers, tourists and general fishing, the front of Windang Island is also accessible, but it's a fair old walk, especially carrying gear.

32FD6230-DE57-4675-B7E1-DB214E91CFE6.jpeg

• Like 1

Yeah, just a bit, the sand has now filled in that bit to the south, and the north breakwall was near covered a few weeks ago, they did zillions of dollars worth of "beautification" and some of it is OK, but it has changed the lake completely, lots of places have just filled in with sand, and some of the work didn't quite turn out as planned, the gap in the stone walls was supposed to make a swimming area, but it turned into a silted backwater, no prawns in the lake now either.

Don't know how long it's been since you were here, but on the northern side, east of the bridge, there is a couple of kind of right angle to the shore rock walls, and the holes that have formed are really deep, and near the caravan park, there is a boardwalk been built, the southern side east of the bridge is very popular with people having picnics and general tourist type activities, lots of swings and seating, plus BBQs here and there, I take the grandkids there a bit, pump Nippers and catch Whiting, just a few metres from your car and blanket on the grass.

• Like 1

Last time I was there there were no breakwalls at all, so many, many years ago.

I remember as a kid, my parents would buy fish and chips on the way to Sydney. Dad would drive us out there and we'd watch the guys skidboarding behind old FJ holdens on the north side sandflats.

Recall Windang Island having a pretty nice wave in a big southerly swell too.

Yep, the Island is still surfed when the swell is up, when you consider the fishing pressure on the lake, it still fishes pretty good, the crabs get a hiding every year, but you can still get your bag limit easy enough.

• Like 1