LB Estuary Winter Fishing

KINGYZ

Hey all, I have a couple questions that I am always curious or thinking about for land-based Winter estuary fishing. I usually fish at Sydney’s estuaries on pontoons about 2-3m of clear water.

1) In Winter do all the fish migrate to deeper water like Sydney ferry wharfs where the depths are >4-5m of water instead of shallower water depth? 

2) Where are the Bream lately? I have not seen any since last season in the estuaries.

3) Which would produce more fish? Fishing in water that is crystal clear or water that is abit murky? 

Thanks

12 minutes ago, KINGYZ said:

Nobody here? :(

Nobody with an answer, perhaps?

I can't comment on the nuances of fishing in Sydney waterways. But, from experience clear vs murky water isn't as much an issue as other factors (species, time of day, water flow, other disturbances, bait, technique).

Fish move from season to season and time of day, day to day. I'd look at the surrounding environment and assess impact(s).

Are you only targeting bream?

On 7/21/2019 at 2:02 PM, KINGYZ said:

Hey all, I have a couple questions that I am always curious or thinking about for land-based Winter estuary fishing. I usually fish at Sydney’s estuaries on pontoons about 2-3m of clear water.

1) In Winter do all the fish migrate to deeper water like Sydney ferry wharfs where the depths are >4-5m of water instead of shallower water depth? 

2) Where are the Bream lately? I have not seen any since last season in the estuaries.

3) Which would produce more fish? Fishing in water that is crystal clear or water that is abit murky? 

Thanks

1. Hey mate for number I can say that I went on a cruise not long ago and was at the wharfs at circular bay and darling harbour and while waiting for a "water taxi" a saw a group of bream near the docks. Big ones too about 9-10 of them. They looked really dopey and my father said that if we threw a line in they won't even care. not sure if they are even edible due to water contaminations in harbour. hope that helps mate, all the best! 

Oz. 

In my younger days , fishing usually with my Father,  we primarily targeted bream.

We always used baits as in those days there were no SP's and it was then considered by many (wrongly) that catching bream on lures was not an option. Perhaps that was more the case then because the range of lures that could have been used to target bream was relatively limited.

These are my observations regarding winter bream fishing ... and they are just that so they can be a little subjective.

• Winter bream are closer to the river mouths and in deeper water in winter. I think this is probably because there is less food upriver in WInter but more importantly, there is more consistent water temperature in the deeper areas. The water temperature in the Parramatta River in July ranges from 4.5 - 17 Degrees. In Sydney harbour it sits around the 17 degree mark fairly constantly. 
  • I would be trying the deeper wharves in Sydney Harbour for example and getting right in amongst the structure. It can be hard to find the right time as many the wharves have ferry traffic but if you can pick a time an hour before sunrise around the top of the tide that is ideal. Late at night when it all quietens down is also an excellent time... if not bloody cold in winter.
  • I would use bait like chicken gut with no sinker and just let it drift in amongst the structure. It is a very underrated bait in my view that has been responsible for some of my best bream.  Fish strips are also a great choice.
  • Go down as far as possible in hook size.
  • Use as little lead as possible - none at all preferably.
  • Keep the noise down - I have seen many a good bite go off the boil after a couple of noisy, clumping, laughing blokes can down the wharf for a fish. " How's the fishing mate? ", says them   " Bloody good until a couple of minutes ago!"  Says I.
  • Fish as light as possible as the water clarity is usually very clear.
  • This is a good application for spooling with flurocarbon but at least use a flouro leader.
  • A slow stream of burley ( a little at a time and often)  will increase your chances significantly.
  • Take a thermos of coffee. Bream really like a hot ... oh hang on...that's for you!

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/21/2019 at 2:02 PM, KINGYZ said:

Thanks

Q1. Most (not all) migrate to deeper water. Remember that shallow water is mostly a feeding environment. Fish are ectothermic, meaning they are cold blooded and don’t need to burn fuel to keep warm, so have very low food requirements unless they are actively growing, feeding or reproducing. In winter when doing none of these things they can just cruise around doing hardly any feeding - so there is no need for them to occupy dangerous shallow water feeding environments. They might as well move to deeper, more temperature stable environments. I don’t think the ferry wharfs would be deep enough to qualify, but don’t really know.

Q2. I don’t target bream so don’t know.

Q3. Generally, if you’re fishing in shallow water around Sydney then clear water days are difficult. Most fish around publicly accessible spots are leader-shy and easily put off by disturbance. There is a small jetty near where I live and I sometimes fish from it just to watch how the fish behave. I have noticed that even waving a fishing rod over the edge of the jetty is enough to make them scatter. Obviously these fish are semi-residents and have learnt that disturbance on the wharf means danger. 

So I don’t think the fish feed any more or less when the water is clear, but they are harder to catch.