Freshwater For A Change

Captain Pugwash

Evening all,

after my disaster with the Black Pig left me boatless this weekend I suffered thru Sat with no fishing. But this morning I came up with a great idea.

I drove to Camden where my parents have a farm. As we are going on hols on Fri Mum and Dad thought I wouldn't see them again B4 we left. They seemed pleasantly surprised when I pulled up to announce that Dad and I were going fishing today!

Dad has been stocking the dams on his property for the last 30 years with Murray Cod, Yellowbelly, Silver Perch and Catfish. We have had a ball over the years and I hoped this trip would help me forget my recent boat troubles.

The dams are quite full after all the glorious rain we have had but therefore very murky, so lures weren't going to be an option.

So, we settled for our favourite pastime. 74 year old father and 43 year old son sitting on the bank of the dam telling yarns, cracking jokes and having a contest as to who will catch the most fish.

The technique is simple. We berley with bread and then throw out unweighted doe on running bubble floats. The fish seem to love it because they feel no weight when picking up the doe and the tell tale signs of the moving bubble float tell you when to strike.

It is simply paradise. Not another soul around, the wild ducks and redbills trying to swim out and eat your bread while you just sit and yarn with the man you admire most on the face of the earth! It doesn't get any better than this!

And then to top it off you pull in 7 beautiful Silver Perch. They ranged in weight between 4 and 6lbs, the longest going 18". Very nice fish. No pics sorry, forgot to take the camera.

They fight very bloody well on light gear, especially when they get down amongst the weed on the bottom.

I was so pleased to spend the time with Dad as well as get some demons out of my head.

FYI the final score was 5 to me and 2 for Dad. And while he sits there and makes corny excuses, you just know he is actually sitting there just loving it!

Cheers all,

Pete

Edited by Captain Pugwash

Sounds like a top day!

PSMate when are you opening the catch and release fishery ???????????

Minimal charge... what a challenge for the fly.

Funny you should mention that Weiry, I was only thinking today how good that would be. One of the dams covers 2.5 hectares. We have a little 12 tinny that we are going to set up with a leccy on it and cruise round chasing the fish. A band of merry men out there having a flick sounds like a great idea!

Cheers

Pete

A break in routine can be a good thing, and it sounds like it was!!!

Today was what fishing is all about.......... actively spending time making the good menories!!! :thumbup:

Well done mate, hope the Tigerfish treat you as well!!!!

A break in routine can be a good thing, and it sounds like it was!!!

Today was what fishing is all about.......... actively spending time making the good menories!!! :thumbup:

Well done mate, hope the Tigerfish treat you as well!!!!

cheers fellas,

it was a great day out of the rat race and sitting on your own land that close to Sydney, while catching great fish it a perfect way to spend a lazy Sunday.

Cheers

Pete

Good on ya Capt.

The closest I get to fishing on my own land (2 acres) is fly casting to cans of John West placed strategically around the yard ....

(and they are the 120gm tins too....not the 500gm ....I like a challenge]

[PSLet me know if you need a hand to see if those buggers will take a fly.]

No sweat Weiry,

and I'd say you live a lot closer than I do, if you live in teh Nepean district.

I hope you do better at casting flies than I do at swatting them!

Cheers

Pete

Guest maraudingmado

One of the great pleasures of life Pete. Sitting on a peaceful waterway with the old man fishing and regaling stories/jokes. :thumbup:

Camden is a nice semi-rural area.....Ahhh the serenity..... :yahoo::yahoo:

Great read Pete. Sounds like a top day was had by both of you. :thumbup:

Sounds like it could be the destination for a future Raider social day. With your old mans permission of course. Just tell him that we all promise to catch less fish than him on the day. :074: Having said that, that's probably what would happen anyway. :wacko:

Shane

:1fishing1:

Sounds like a perfect day - private dam, full of water, fish biting, no crowds, 'the old man and the boy' can't get any better.

I would have still thrown a lure around mind you - cannot resist a bit of lure chucking.

Have fun on your hols :1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1: