More yellowfin

JonD

More of a secondhand report from a couple of good friends who got into the yellowfin again yesterday. The two girls have been getting yellowfin on most trips out from Batemans Bay but were keen on getting into the bluefin but after almost all day roaming way offshore they headed back for home only to stumble accross a sight they could hardly believe. As far as they could see back inshore back at the shelf were big yellowfin smashing the surface feeding on large slimey mackerel. They put two lures over the side and instantly got a double hookup on very large tuna, which unfortunately both were lost. Second try resulted in another double hookup on smaller fish, smaller being a 68kg and 72kg which were soon boated then heade headed for home.

They left fish smashing the surface for as far as they could see. I believe yellowfin well south around Bermi had been landed from inshore also.

The girls said they had seen action in close on their way out but assumed it was just dolphins feeding on bait as this had been the case for a few weeks lately.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GordoRetired said:

68kg Tuna is 'smaller'... I wish I could catch one of those small tuna 🤣

Personally I would rather 25-35kg, back doesn't like that heavy stuff.

• Like 4

Great reports your posting Jon, seems the South Coast is firing.

I'll be down that way in 10 days or a bit further south though I suspect the estuaries will be quiet, but a few Salmon sound fun.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JonD said:

Personally I would rather 25-35kg, back doesn't like that heavy stuff.

That size is a lot of fun on 15kg gear. Many years ago had a day out at Browns when we had a school of 20 - 30kg YF right at the back of the boat in the cube trail. Every time a bait went over the side we hooked up. After an hour we were all to knackered to keep fishing. 🙂

• Like 2