Hairtail Donations Needed for Science #2

Tag117

Hey Raiders,

The water is chilly and the days are short, which means, it's that hairtail time again!

As part of a co-operative study between NSW DPI fisheries and Macquarie University we need your help to collect hairtail samples. While whole hairtail are ideal, what we really need is heads, guts or frames

Using these, we can understand hairtail:

-diet (Looking at their stomach content and tissue chemistry to understand how their diets change seasonally)

-populations structure (Using genetics to answer whether there is a single population on the east coast or multiple?)

-hairtail home range (Using chemical tracers in tissue to determine the preferred latitudinal range of hairtail)

If you get any hairtail or hairtail bits (even the smallest bit of flesh or frame helps), you can get in touch with me here, through email (tristan.guillemin@hdr.mq.edu.au) or through instagram (@fishoscience). Keep the hairtail frozen and I can organise to come pick them up at your place, or at the boat ramp (I'll even help clean them for you!).

Feel free to ask any questions about our study or hairtail in general.

Cheers and tightlines!

Tristan

Hairtail research 1.pdf

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
Approved by Admin

Tristan,

We done a trip the other day and managed to get a few. I actually kept the head of one as I was interested in getting the skull mounted! It is still in the freezer if it would be beneficial to you? Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions 🤙

Cheers, Brendo

On 7/1/2021 at 10:43 PM, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Tristan have you any links to your study so far? I'd be really interested to see what you've found out, including things like where do they go after spawning etc.

Thanks Waza

Hey Waza,

Unfortunately we don't quite have the sample size we want yet to properly start analysing tissue chemistry (the more samples you analyse in one go the lower it costs, so we're waiting for more to run analyses). We just need more donations before we start doing anything movement related. We should start looking at stomach content soon though.

As soon as we start to get results I'll definitely post them here!

23 hours ago, Brendan Monks said:

Tristan,

We done a trip the other day and managed to get a few. I actually kept the head of one as I was interested in getting the skull mounted! It is still in the freezer if it would be beneficial to you? Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions 🤙

Cheers, Brendo

Hey Brendo, 

That'd be awesome mate, I'll shoot you a pm now.

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1