Jew Sps

lurespinner

hey guys

i want to catch a jew on my bream rod

actually i just wanna catch one :tease:

i think it would be a much harder thing to do on my bream sp gear

the only thing is that the max i can cast on it is 12g

most of the shads that i hav looked at are around 25g :wacko:

i was thinking maybe a 100mm squidgy slick rig mite be light enough?

any ideas guys?

thanks for your help

Plenty of fishraiders regularly take jews on bream gear, the soapies are relatively easy to handle (I have busted off a big one on 4lb Fireline though). I'm only a beginner to jews on SP, but have had plenty of success with 3/8 - 1/2 ounce (10g-14g) jigheads in size 2/0 through to 5/0 - TTs and Nitros. I use those weights in water 30-50 feet deep, but I've seen my mate take a jew on a 1/16 jighead and a 3" bass minnow in about 6 feet of water, though this was massive fluke in my opinion! :wacko: 4" Berkley bass minnows, or any 4" or bigger shad or stickbait should work, including the Squidgy slick rig.

What shads have you looked at that weigh 25g ?

HTH,

Ben.

7" storms

6" berkley pogys

and a few others i cant remember

anything about that size seems to be about that weight

3/8th of an ounce jig head with a 5/0 hook and a 5 inch jerk shad would be fine on your bream gear .I use a 2500 series reel loaded with 6lb fireline and a berkley drop shot rod and that is fine for the smaller Jews .I am still after a 10kg model but am working on that ,hopefully earlier than later :074:

Cheers Swordfisherman

Edited by Guest

hey guys

i want to catch a jew on my bream rod

actually i just wanna catch one :tease:

i think it would be a much harder thing to do on my bream sp gear

the only thing is that the max i can cast on it is 12g

most of the shads that i hav looked at are around 25g :wacko:

i was thinking maybe a 100mm squidgy slick rig mite be light enough?

any ideas guys?

thanks for your help

Hi lurespinner. I have caught only seven Jew on plastics but what I have found is that they will hit most well presented lures if they are there. The skill in Jewie fishing is finding them and then putting the lure RIGHT in front of them. 5 fish (flukes) including my biggest were on 3"minnows and bream tackle. The 2 fish that I targetted were on 4"shads and reasonably heavy jigs on 6kg spin gear. The later being just as satisfying even though the fight was not as nerve racking. SO I think my point is keep fishing hard and smart and you will get one eventually and to match your gear to the conditions not just your expectations. Cheers Dave

• 2 weeks later...

1/16 jighead and a 3" bass minnow in 6' of water near a bridge pylon

1/16 jighead and a 1" nymph in 40' of water near a bridge pylon

I think it's more important to find the fish and drop a lure on their nose than find the 'magic' lure.

Cheers Bill

alot of good wisdom here...

ive been fairly successful at jew on plastic without being a guru and alot of what has been mentioned here rings true for me anyway.

Size of the lure matters little unless you are targeting big jew specifically. Even still the biggest lure i have used to catch a jew on (No.8 squidgy fish Black/Gold) caught my smallest jew to date, 1.5kgs

Most jew have been caught on 3'' berkleys or atomic jerk shads but location is vitally important. Place your lure in front of em and more often than not you will come up trumps no matter the size or type of lure. There is no magic lure or magic colour but rather types of locations... which i might add have been published and written about a million times over... they never change dramatically... so really its just a matter of time on the water and persistance...

If you fish it.. they will come